Mac Pro Audio Output Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by novagamer, Oct 8, 2006.

1. novagamer macrumors member

Hey all,

I got a mac pro a few days ago and as this is the first professional mac I've owned, it also has the most output options, especially in the realm of audio.

I would like to know how I can configure the front (headphone) audio jack to mute the Line-Out (to speakers) when I plug in my headphones, and vice versa; how I can get it to un-mute the Line-Out when I unplug my headphones.

Currently when I plug in/remove my headphones it defaults back to the Internal Speaker inside the Mac Pro, instead of the Line-Out which I would like it to do. I've tried messing with the sound panel in system preferences, but I can't seem to get it to work the way I'd like it to.

It's a great machine overall-I'll be doing an extensive write up within the next few weeks once I get a website up and ready to go. This is really the only minor problem I've had, other than the occasional application crashing.

I'd appreciate any help! Thanks:)

2. Origin macrumors regular

Origin

I don't think this is directly possible, BUT, you can use a little tool to switch between audio output from your menu.
    Sound Menu (Aspirine.li) or SoundSource (from Rogue Amoeba) will do the job ;)

This is what I personnaly use to fit this kind of need ;)

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Wow, I didn't even realize the headphone port didn't mute the line-out port. For me, plugging something in there doesn't do anything, nor does unplugging it. I have to select "Headphones" from the Sound Preferences and then re-select "line out" afterwards. I always just use the headphone port on my external speakers.

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Plugging headphones in doesn't mute the optical out I've discovered although it does mute the internal speaker. When using Boot Camp I have to plug something in the headphone port to shut the internal speakers up. :)