Mac Pro/Bootcamp installation question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by grovertdog, Sep 15, 2006.

1. grovertdog macrumors regular

Greetz, all!

FedEx just dropped off my MP and I am ready to rumble!

I bought a fresh 250GB SATA2 drive for all things Windows. I wish to partition it in the following manner:

-second partition = largest FAT32 partition I can use (32GB if memory serves), for interplatform sharing

-primary partition = NTFS for OS, programs, etc.

Should I do anything to the drive beforehand prior to bootcamping/installing XP? I wonder if I should do the FAT32 partition via OS/X and let the Windows install deal with the remaining amount for the "primary" NTFS part? Alternatively, can I direct XP to install using only part of the new drive, and then add the FAT32 partition later?

Any help or chiding would be appreciated!:D
    ~gtd

2. grovertdog thread starter macrumors regular

3. djhspawn macrumors member

I would like to know as well. I wanted to put in a Raptor drive for the XP load for gaming.

4. grovertdog thread starter macrumors regular

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The maximum file size for a FAT32 partition is 2TB while the largest file size is 4GB. I don't really know how you should set it up. I'll probably allocate about 100GB to Windows, all FAT32. I like 'em FAT.

6. grovertdog thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but my question was focused as to whether let XP create the two partitions or create one (or two) using OS/X or a utility PRIOR to installing XP and Bootcamp-- have my sizing scheme down actually.

I do NOT want XP to partition the entire empty drive as one partition.

~gtd