Mac Pro Buying Decisions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ejewels52, Sep 3, 2006.

  1. ejewels52 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2006
    #1
    Hello, I've searched a lot on this forum, but still haven't found all the answers...Anyways, I'm a design professional and I've been around my share of macs...I now have a G4 quicksilver, and a Dell PC...and I really want to sell the PC and get a new mac pro. Is it wise to buy this new technology? Should I wait until it has been released and proven for a while? It really is tempting considering it will accomodate for better number crunching abilities like when developing with Flash...so whats the verdict? Wait or buy? (please say buy... LOL )
     
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #2
    Buy. :D

    All of your software will run faster than on the old Quicksilver anyway... and when UBs for Creative Suite are released you'll be laughing. QuarkXpress 7 is already UB.

    What are your main workhorse apps?
     
  3. ejewels52 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2006
    #3
    Main Apps are CS2, Studio 8, Lightwave, FCP....i realize the UB thing, but I guess I am just hesitant on the new technology being so new. Have there been any issues? Also, when is the next upgrade to the Mac Pros anyways...I would prob have to wait a while right?
     
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #4
    I think you picked a great time to upgrade your workstation.

    The only brief hold-up will be waiting a few more months for some of the Pro
    applications and plugins to be offered in Universal Binary.

    The only killer right now is the price of FB ECC RAM, but that will come down
    soon enough as production ramps up and the market floods.

    These machines are best configured with 4 of a kind match RAM DIMMS, so your most difficult decision will be to accept 4 X 512 sticks to get a minimum 2 GB RAM or if you're going for 4 X 1 GB RAM sticks.

    You also need to count on a 3-5 weeks backorder if you BTO the ATI X1900 video card.

    You could go for a closeout or refurb G5 Quad, but that would be an expensive hold over purchase making the machine conform to your applications instead of waiting for the applications to conform to your new machine.

    If you can plug along till spring, then the only other consideration would be to get a full blown Leopard system.

    Tough choices when you upgrade every 3-5 years.
     
  5. ejewels52 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2006
    #5
    well i was thinking about getting 1 gig to save initial money now, and upgrading the RAM later. Either way, all the DIMM slots configuration are the same right? so If one got 4 512's now, I could always take out and put in 4 1gigs in right? Also, Is the stock graphics card upgradable later on as well? I hear its not that great...but I also don't play games

    I guess the question is...2 gigs of ram rather than 1, or ATI graphics card upgrade and 1 gig RAM?? (trying to stay around 2500)
     
  6. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #6
    i say buy.*

    and as far as RAM vs. video card, i think it's up to you. would you upgrade the other either way on down the road? i think it's easier to upgrade or just add RAM later, so you might want to get the video card now
     
  7. ejewels52 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2006
    #7
    yeah...so i guess the video card would be better to purchase now? RAM is always upgradable later...
     
  8. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #8
    You pretty much need 2 GB RAM right away if you plan any heavy use of CS2.
    Unfortunately, that's going to set you back about $250.00
    Apple already gives you 2 X 512 MB DIMMS so all you really need are 2 more to get rolling.

    One cool thing is that OWC has a RAM trade in policy so that may help
    in the future.
    I didn't see their price for matche dpairs of 512 MB DIMMS, so they may be
    out of stock temporarily.

    All the RAM suppliers are scrambling to make sure that their Apple guaranteed
    DIMMS meet or exceed Apples thermal guidlines.

    Apple does list a stand alone purchase for the ATI X1900 card for $359.00(edu)

    Just go to the Apple Store web page and search X1900

    I would just get the stock machine 2.66 GHz " as is " and add as you see fit.

    The problem is Rosetta's need for RAM to work with your PPC applications.
    Once you upgrade to UB Adobe CS3 it should fly on this system.

    If you already have a retail license of XP, you may be able to run CS2 on a Boot Camp enabled Windows partition.
     
  9. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

    ricgnzlzcr

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #9
    I think that a video card is always upgradable later. It seems that you use applications that require lots of ram, which makes that a better upgrade than a video card right now. I think it's a great time for you to upgrade since the MP's have been getting great reviews. Good luck with your purchase.
     
  10. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #10
    If you don't mind lurking a bit,
    you could just comb the refurb page every day until you see a 2.66 or 3.0 GHz
    refurb pop up in the system.

    They WILL show up eventually.

    That should save you enough to buy some extra RAM and you might actually end up with a few free extras at no charge.

    The refurb prices will probably fall about $100.00 less than the education store pricing.
     
  11. ejewels52 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2006
    #11
    Thanks all, looking forward to purchasing...but I have heard of some complications with the whole intel thing and windows?
     
  12. Doug3847 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #12
    You can only buy one if you buy one for me, too! New undisclosed apple rules. ;)
     
  13. Silentwave macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Location:
    Gainesville, FL
    #13
    You just need to follow a certain procedure when loading up your windows drivers disc for Boot Camp so that your SATA drives operate properly :eek:
     
  14. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #14
    You have to keep in mind that BootCamp is a beta test program that will be replaced with Leopard, so you need to back up everything you do on your Windows
    partition before installing Leopard or you may lose it.
     
  15. ejewels52 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2006
    #15
    Would I have any reason to wait a couple months for a new Mac Pro? or will they be out for a while before any new products?
     

Share This Page