Mac Pro - case re:design ideas

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by suneohair, Oct 2, 2007.

1. macrumors 68020

suneohair

So, we all have ideas of hardware and what not. We have had a pass at the case a couple times. But I thought I would make a thread to discuss ideas and what not. I am not saying it needs to be updated or that there are problems with it. However, all things get refreshed at some point, I don't think the Mac Pro will be any different. I will kick it off with this:

All credit for this goes to Phizz at thinksecret, Aluminum and Glass: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=79330

[​IMG]

What do you think?

2. macrumors 6502a

sblasl

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

i don't have the power to do that. And you know it will change eventually.

4. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Would there be holes cut into the glass for the CD/DVD/BD/HDDVD drives.

It looks a bit generic but the germ of the idea is there I can see this being developed into something classy.

5. macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I've not seen any other mock ups of Mac Pro designs, but I really like the one you've just posted – very in keeping with the new iMac. But wouldn't glass be impractical for a machine that gives out lots of heat? Plus I'd miss the handles (unless they got the weight down).

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Well the original poster says there are indentations on each end. You can sort of see it on the side angle, there is about 1-2 inches that you can grab on to.

The glass, not sure about the heat. I think someone said they could have a small opening around the rim of the glass. I don't think the Mac Pro is super hot though, and with the 45nm chips even less so. The back wouldn't have the glass and would like it is now presumably.

DVD drive openings, I think they are built into the glass. From the looks of it, you wouldn't have to open the glass door or anything. Missing also are the ports but we know if they did this for real they would be there.

7. macrumors 6502

8. thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

You're boring.

9. macrumors 68000

dongmin

Putting an Apple logo on a Dell box does not make it a 'design.'

Next.

[​IMG]

10. macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Put eSata on the tower, with a Raid Controller

11. macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

No...he's practical. My tower is a workhorse that sits under my desk. I don't really care what it looks like. Even if I did care I'd say the current design looks great. I doubt any changes will be very significant.

12. macrumors 68000

lofight

i think it's pretty nice.. or you could make the outside totally black with the front and back cover (were the dvd burner and usb ports are) aluminium!

13. thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

I don't care what it looks like either. I think the current design is great as well, and more than likely we would say the new one will look great.

I don't see the point in saying, "the current one is great, leave it alone." We know it is going to change one day. This thread is simply to talk about that a little. If you want it to stay the same, you don't have to comment. Although you are more than welcome to, but give reasons as to why it shouldn't change.

I don't think it will be a significant change either. But who really knows?

14. macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Love It Just The Way It Is

I hope they don't change it 'cause I love it just the way it is.

15. thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Thanks for backing me up MM! ;) So, what are your feelings for this month?

16. macrumors 6502

How old are you?

I get the feeling that a lot of contributors to the Macrumors forums are quite young, as in teenagers. I base this on some of the inane and/or confrontational nature of some reponses. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it makes me a little hesitant to post becuase often a non-relevant followup occurs without an explanation. I give an opinion without asking for a critique of that opinion. Something like that often comes from a person who may be on the immature or insecure side.

17. macrumors regular

chelseasian

Maybe they can make it a little smaller. I find my G5 taking up a lot of space. But again the "space" back then was needed for air flow etc. to cool the machine. I would appreciate something around the size of the old G4's which is slightly smaller than the G5s/mac Pros... Other than that, I am happpy generally with the design. And maybe instead of a DVD tray, we could have it slot loading like the iMacs and MBPs.

18. macrumors 6502

I don't know about most of you, but I DESPISE slot loading optical drives. I find they are way too prone to failure and collection of dust.

19. thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Your post didn't explain why they should leave it. You just said "leave it the way it is." Your post could have explained why you like it the way it is and why they shouldn't change. If you want to demand explanations from me, you should offer your own. That way I would be able to have an actual discussion about it changing/not changing which is the point of the thread.

Posting on a public forum typically means your opinion will be critiqued. If you didn't want your opinion critiqued, you could have left it out of the discussion. As you can see, I did not ask for my opinion of your opinion to be critiqued, yet you had no qualms about doing so, and I must say in a much more confrontational way, by supposing that I am a teenager which is rather rude.

If you found my response confrontational, I don't know what to tell you. It seems however that you may have some insecurities, namely, the need to make yourself sound as if you are uber mature on a public forum where everything is anonymous.

EDIT: Don't take things so seriously. It is a forum.

20. macrumors 6502a

product26

far too slow

21. macrumors 68000

atari1356

I'm with you there. The current Mac Pro is a heavy beast. Slim it down and knock a couple inches off of the top so it fits in more computer desks/armoires.

22. thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Having the Mac Pro be lighter would be good, a tad smaller as well. But I would prefer more functionality over a smaller design. A second row of HDs for a total of 8 would be stellar!

23. macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

24. macrumors member

AC773

The Mac Pro looks great, but there will come a time when Apple will just have to redesign it. I'm not saying that time is now, but you can't hang on to the same look forever.

IMO the iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, and MacBook Pro are all getting a little long in the tooth.

25. thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

Exactly. It is going to happen. Although, the iMac was just updated. Do you not like it? Or did you want a radical departure from the chin and ACD like stand?

What I find odd is Apple moving away from white in some areas, the iMac for example, but keeping it in the peripherals; keyboard, mighty mouse, etc.