Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today Apple released the long awaited Mac Pro updates a week ahead of Macworld Expo. Similarly, In June, Apple released MacBook Pro updates only 6 days before the WWDC 2007 Keynote. A few notes gathered about the new Mac Pros:

- Today's Mac Pro is called "Mac Pro (Early 2008)" in Apple support documents.
- Full Specs and Manual (PDF) have been posted.
- New Mac Pros are already in retail Apple Stores.
- While Apple has standardized on 8-Core Mac Pros as the "base" model, they actually do offer a single 2.8GHz Quad-Core CPU Mac Pro option for $2299.
- Rumors of Apple buying up the high end 3.2GHz Penryn ("Harpertown") processors were apparently true.
- The 1600MHz front side bus is up from the previous Mac Pro's 1333 MHz front side bus.
- While the new NVIDIA 8800GT is not yet available in the U.S. as a standalone purchase for old Mac Pros, it is available separately at the UK Apple Store for £220.
- Despite expectations, Apple did not introduce a Blu-ray option.
- Reminder that Apple charges a large premium for RAM for their online store orders, so you will always do better to buy ram from 3rd party vendors. (Discussion)

More Discussion in our Mac Pro forums.

Article Link

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
Since Apple released this today, it leaves more room for a big announcement on Monday!

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
I believe they released it once they knew that the *other* new products they are planning to introduce at MacWorld will be ready for sure. That is, the MacPro/XServe were their annnouncement backup plans in case whatever else they wanted to show at MacWorld wouldn't be ready.

Of course Intel's processor announcement timing also was fitting.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yep. great for people looking to get a mac pro, but was waiting.

now i'm looking forward to seeing that 8800 for sale in the US for my mac pro :apple:

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I believe they release it once they know that the *other* new products they are planning to introduce at MacWorld will be ready and coming through for sure. That is, the MacPro/XServe were their annnouncement backup plans in case whatever else they want to show wouldn't be ready. Of course Intel's processor announcement timing also was fitting.

No doubt it will also give a bump to Apple's lagging stock price leading into the bump MacWorld will add.

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
Very cool.
I would get one if I had a lot more in the bank, but I think a new MBP will do just fine. I'll wait to see if they make any updates this coming MWSF.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Based on the specs and cost, I think a midrange will be shown at MacWorld.

They'd only be shooting themselves in the foot since many buyers will likely be in the "still shipping" stage (most, if they go for the 8800GT) and all of the rest will still be in the return window.

So those buying it because they need more power and expandability then an iMac will be returning them - and that number might not be insignificant in terms of the total units ordered/bought to date at that time.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Isn't the iMac Apple's midrange model?

Yes, but many on this forum (and I am not one of them) want a smaller Mac Pro that allows for the CPU, GPU, and drives (optical and fixed) to be swapped out. None of which is possible with the iMac.

I doubt such a device will ship mere days after an update to the Mac Pro.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX

I hope so too!

it's the only mid range option right now, which kinda sucks... you can't change anything on the imac other than the ram ... what if you have a need for a PCI-X card or something ... i want to add a second internal hard drive ....

RealMcCoy

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Berlin, Miami, Habana
Mac Pro (x) - iPhone 2 ....

Today I was out and about to get me an iPhone (in Germany that is) ... to my surprise ... the guy (who was obviously in charge of the store) I was questioning about some details I needed to know before I change providers ... responded to my comment that I would normaly have waited for the iPhone 2 (or whatever the name will be of the next generation model), that this would be still something like 6 months away ... as it turns out ... he was talking about Germany ... because his words were "well, for the new model they will show next week in the us, you will need to wait at least 6 more month to be released in Germany. The new one they gonna show on tuesday is only for the us for now ..."

I wonder if this guy was talking too much, knew too much ... or is just about right with it ! We will see next tuesday !!!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8130/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Would suck if you ordered a new display with your new Mac pro and they. Made new ones at mwsf...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

Not for those who already own a monitor, or need expandability. You might as well say that apple doesn't need the imac...after all, with the Macbook it already has a "midrange model"...

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...

Don't hold your breath, people have predicted this forever... the problem is that the desktop market is not a high growth market. The notebook market is... hence the emphasis on notebooks.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Yes, but many on this forum want...

And I want a million dollars.

None of this has any bearing on what Apple will actually do. THEY think the iMac fills the needs of everyone who isn't a Mac Pro buyer. THEY have made their feelings on this quite clear again and again. In order for that to happen, they would have to drastically change their view of the iMac. I haven't seen any indication that this has happened.

IF Apple was interested in filling this role, you know what they'd do? They'd let you change the Mac Pro to a Core Duo chip and let you save $1,000. Bingo: Instant $1,800 tower.

They didn't do that today. You know why? It's because they think the iMac is all you need.

Look, I agree with you. I'd love to see such a machine. But it ain't gonna happen anytime soon!

EDIT: What I could see..and what I'd love...is to enlarge the Mac Mini enough to give it a desktop hard drive and dedicted video card...same specs as the Macbook Pro. That would be useful and I could actually imagine Apple doing that.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
This update is pretty sweet. I wish I could get a MP, but I need a laptop more than a desktop. Now all we need is the MBP update and I am happy!:)

Mr Ikasu

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2004
Anyone know if you buy the single processor (Quad) model, is it the same mobo or have they made a single processor version just for this almost unadvertised version?

If it is the same, what are the chances adding a second processor in a year or two once the prices have dropped would be possible? Would seem like a good plan for me. Much as I would like a Mac Pro £1750 is too much for me as a student!

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
Today I was out and about to get me an iPhone (in Germany that is) ... to my surprise ... the guy (who was obviously in charge of the store) I was questioning about some details I needed to know before I change providers ... responded to my comment that I would normaly have waited for the iPhone 2 (or whatever the name will be of the next generation model), that this would be still something like 6 months away ... as it turns out ... he was talking about Germany ... because his words were "well, for the new model they will show next week in the us, you will need to wait at least 6 more month to be released in Germany. The new one they gonna show on tuesday is only for the us for now ..."

I wonder if this guy was talking too much, knew too much ... or is just about right with it ! We will see next tuesday !!!

If some of the media channels and technology editors have no idea about what apple will be releasing. What makes you think a simple entry level sales/cashier working at apple stores would have a clue about future releases?

He is probably a macrmors reader and is fueling the anxiety level.
It would be stupid i think for apple to release a new iphone
the cell phone market is way way diffrent then anything out there.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I hope so too!

it's the only mid range option right now, which kinda sucks... you can't change anything on the imac other than the ram ... what if you have a need for a PCI-X card or something ... i want to add a second internal hard drive ....

Well, the macmini is well overdue an update, especially since the last macbook updates (as I thought the macmini was there to empty the parts bin of obsolete macbook parts). There were rumours of the macmini being discontinued a few months part, maybe a new mac is on the cards?

Anyhow, I'm holding out for a portable to replace my 12" G4 without it being made of plastic...

Tsurisuto

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Would suck if you ordered a new display with your new Mac pro and they. Made new ones at mwsf...

I don't think that we will see new cinema displays at Macworld. I think Apple will hold out till Summer and then release redesigned Mac Pros, along with new slimmer ACDs. The current Mac Pros are just a stop gap measure.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I don't think that we will see new cinema displays at Macworld. I think Apple will hold out till Summer and then release redesigned Mac Pros, along with new slimmer ACDs. The current Mac Pros are just a stop gap measure.

Stop gap for what? This rev just doubled the procs in every base Mac Pro. That's one heck of a stop gap.

Is there some new chip from intel arriving this summer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.