Mac Pro For Gaming.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ringo, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

What do you guys think bout this? Is the stock GPU is enought?Will it last long?

My dad and I *may* be planning to buy one for a real long term use.

Can wait to play my games while browsing the net and chatting and listenning to music and a movie... ;)

2. steelfist macrumors 6502a

no. the imac has a better graphics GPU than that. you will do better in gaming with an imac than a mac pro in terms of pricing,

unless you happen to have enough money for a 1900xt upgrade to go along with the mac pro purchase.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Look at Apple's own performance graphs and you can see that the nVidia card is hopeless. Go for the AMD, err, ATI :p

5. kaboutertje macrumors regular

kaboutertje

Just pay $350 more for the x1900xt, it's a great card and coupled with those dual 2.66 you should be flying trough all games (in bootcamp that is :p).
    Offcourse it hasn't been tried yet, but I see no reason why it souldn't be with the right gpu.

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'd agree you would want the X1900XT

Although I'm not sure if 3-4 7300GTs in SLI mode would be faster then that... but even if they were, they would probably be less compatible with games then a single X1900.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would say you could make a great gaming system with proMac by going a little slower with the cpu since they are overkill and bump up that GPU. Still its going to put you over 2 grand.

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Multiple GPUs are not in SLI mode, but solely for running multiple displays.

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I realize you can do that, but I didn't know (and still don't) if they could be run in SLI, as there are such things as Quad-SLI rigs.

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Now the X1900 XT is available from the Apple WebStore....
    But it requires a Mac Pro.

So, it's only usefull if you either:
    a) forgot to BTO order it, and now can buy it retail, and it will cost ya $ 150,- more, or
    b) use it as a 2nd or third grfx card.

Something I don't understand...
    - This card is Mac Pro specific. So, it won't work in a G5.
    - You can't put a "normal" PC X1900 XT in your Mac Pro....

What makes this X1900 XT so special that it can't be put in a PC nor a G5?

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Maybe two dual-DVIs to drive two 30" monitors?

12. socamx macrumors 6502

EFI.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The G5 uses Open Firmware while the Intel uses EFI.

14. socamx macrumors 6502

Also on the note of a X1900 for a G5, ATi will be releasing a 'G5 Edition' but it will be the equal of the X1900 GT for Windows, so not has many pipelines and not as good as the X1900 XT in the Mac Pro... but probably much less expensive.

15. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

As much as I would love to get a MacPro for gaming I just can't recommend it in terms of price and gaming capabilities.
    If you want to seriously game I would just save the money and build yourself a PC. You can get a much better GPU at a lower price if you build the system yourself. I understand BootCamp is a good option on the Mac Pro but if you just want a computer for gaming save the money and build a PC. I know it sounds evil, but gaming in OS X is a joke from my experience, and I have been gaming on Macs for over 10 years. Unless you are only playing WoW and a few other well ported games you are not going to see an advantage to gaming on the Mac.

It hurts me to say this as a Mac user, but for gaming I use a PC.

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm not sure about that really. Everything except the GPU is excellent, and the price point seems very competitive. Having a 2 Dual-Core Xeons is nothing to laugh at, and the upgrade potential alone (concerning RAM, HDDs, and extra video cards) is very impressive.

Again, minus the GPU, the specs on the Mac Pro (even at default config) seems great for the price, perhaps the best Mac Hardware value I've ever seen.

And why balk at the X1900XT 512MB? What else would you want right now, even that would often be under-used by most people. My old GeForce 6600 GT was far under that in terms of performance, and it did excellent (~60-90fps in WoW, 1280x1024, all settings maxed). The point is simply that I don't understand why someone would complain about a 512MB X1900XT :D

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Macmaniac is kind of right, I also a Mac user for 20 yrs resorted to a PC because of the sad configurations Apple offers up. Today Apple is really playing games with graphics through its lines. Mini's just is super weak,iMac is good but all in ones are all in ones and many have a great monitor allready then there is promac with a cover charge of $2,000 just to enter but really to have a Mac with a modern videocard you are sitting at $2500. Plus the gamer just doesnt need 4 cores sitting in 2 cpu's he needs 1 or two cores sitting in 1 fast Cpu. ProMac is a workstation and overkill for the gamer and Mini's Integrated graphics suck. Apples product lines are still inadequate in my view. They need something for the prosumer, iMac is nice but all in ones chase away many a buyer. Apple has a huge void because of their silly marketing.

18. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Keep this thread going. I'm eying a new Mac Pro. Not to be used mainly for gaming but I'd like to keep my options open.

What do you guys think about RAM. What's the best bang for the buck configuration. How much is enough. How much is too much?

Are those Hard Drive bays available on the Apple store separatly? I was thinking of going with only one and add more later, when more money is available. Edit: Never mind. Found 'em here

I might be parting with my 20" dual core iMac to help me finance my purchase. [1GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM] $1,874.00 New from Apple Store. It's in perfect shape. What percentage of the original value could I get?

I haven't tried boot camp yet. Is it better/safer to install Windows on a different Hard Drive or does it have to be on the same as OS X?

It should be pretty simple to upgrade de graphic card later, right? Even with a newer one that does not exist yet?

Thanks

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That's why they should release a Mac Pro Conroe.
    One CPU, Dual Core around 3 GHz.

I was looking for this Mac Pro to be my ultimate computer: Super fast Mac, and via Boot Camp, a very good gaming computer. Not excellent, but very good. Stiil want 5.1 surround sound....
    So, I hoped for an affordable Conroe, in which I could put that X1900 XT, and have fun on both sides. ;)

That fact hat they have gone all Quad is nice, but I wonder how often the 3rd and 4th core will really be used by people who use this machine at home.
    No game will. QuickTime won't.... ans still they pay for it.

EDIT:
    srobert,
    If I had to config one, I would go for the Quad 2.66 GHz and 2 GB RAM.

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

You are mostly right but the comments regarding what a gaming rig needs is short sighted and in-the-now. Games are progressing to supporting multiple cores, and games like Quake 4 have shown there are serious performance gains in doing this. Moving forward more and more games are going to take advantage of multiple processors and multiple cores, plus extra ram.

I would suggest a minimum of 2GB. There is quite a difference from 1GB to 2GB, especially in games.

As for the harddrives, I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain you can expand this yourself, even with non-Apple branded drives. Any drive should do as long as it has the appopriate bus (I'm not sure if the Mac Pro supports EIDE or SATA-only).

21. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

The thing is many games, even now, don't take advantage of dual-core, much less quad-core. Quad-core is extreme overkill for gaming and paying anything over $1,000 for a gaming system with only a 7300GT, and you have many disappointed MR members.

What still eats at me is how, as I mentioned in the other thread, Apple actively discourages a mid-range solution. It's either high-end (2.66Ghz or above Woodcrest) or highway-robbery for an ok 2.0Ghz Woodcrest. If Apple had an option that let you obtain a single 2.0Ghz Woodcrest as a "-$1,200" option, Apple could definitely garner some gamers. But considering the fact that Apple has always had very skewed pricing, I don't expect such an option to appear anytime soon.

Of course, if you want to dream, I'd probably opt for at least a single 2.33Ghz Woodcrest, b/c the performance jumps considerably.

22. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Honestly you don't need to spend 2.5k + to get a good gaming machine, that is overkill. Dual Xeons are overkill as well, very few games even take advantage of dual core much less Quad. For $1500 he could build a really nice PC gaming system. I am aware that newer games will be taking advantage of more cores, but right now its a waste of money. If you really want to make the most of your system buy a motherboard that will support processors that have multiple cores. For instance my mobo uses socket AM2 which works with both the single core 64 bit proc, as well as the FX2 dual core. This will be different for Intel but you can get boards that will work with newer chips.

Of course the new Mac Pros will be good for gaming, the X1900 is nothing to sneeze at, but spending almost $3000 on a Mac for gaming is a waste.

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

One High-end Machine

I see your point but I disagree. You can buy (1) high end machine that runs both Windows and OS X. Once you get a nice 30 inch display, 4 or 8 GBs of memory, and fill that sucker with a few SATA drives and a good graphics card. You leverage cost of the same components that cost the same for both platforms that you install yourself. You can buy a home built PC or gaming and perhaps have money left over for a Mini but it would be nice to have a fast Mac in addition to a fast gaming system as a bonus.

24. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Sure, I will definitely concede that for just gaming a Mac Pro would indeed be overkill.

But if someone wants to upgrade their existing Mac hardware, AND be able to play games with Boot Camp it's hard to argue or much less recommend they get two separate systems unless absolutely necessary.

I would assume that most of the Mac users out there, and especially on these forums, are still running G4/G5 hardware. If they are wanting to upgrade to the newest machines and also want a gaming rig, the Mac Pro is a very good option and not at all badly priced.

Newer engines such as UE3 are support multiple cpus/cores, and that engine is getting heavily licensed. There is no reason to sell yourself short if future games (as in, within the next 1-4 years) will take advantage of them.

If someone isn't interested in new mac hardware, then a Mac Pro would be pointless regardless of if you wanted to game or not, heh.

25. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Yes I would agree that if he also needs to upgrade his Mac, then yes go for it. I would love to have one of the machines to Bootcamp, but I already have a powerbook and I am not in the market yet. If you want to do gaming in addition to your mac use, get the upgraded card the 7300GT is crap. Apple really sells people short on cards, they should at least provide a 7600GT on a PRO machine, but oh well.