Mac Pro - Freeze after Sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tafkas, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Tafkas macrumors regular

After waking up my mac pro from Sleep Mode he starts but within an minute he freezes. I can still move my mouse pointer but that's it.

I neither can click anything nor can use keyboard shortcuts. So I have to shut him down by holding the power button and reboot him.

Even the update to 10.4.9 did not help.

Does anyone have the same problems? Or at least a solution?

2. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

try going into system preferences , then energy saver, then make sure that the box that says turn off hard drive is is checked, if it is, uncheck it then see what happanes when it goes to sleep

3. hal0n macrumors regular

Mine has done that a couple of times.. for some reason the hard drive just wouldn't spin back up. I came up with a couple of work arounds to kick start it. One thing was ejecting the CD tray. That worked about 50% of the time. Another thing was powering up one of my firewire drives (>50% success rate). The last thing that I tried was putting it back to sleep by hitting the power button, and then waking it up with the keyboard again. That last one worked every time.

I wouldn't really say that it was a major problem for me though. It only happened 1 in 50-100 times when it woke up from sleep mode.

4. arcsbite Guest

I am having the exact problem and it is REALLY driving me up the wall.
    when I come back to my machine I just get the spinning wheel.....there's nothing I can do but push the power button.
    not sure what to do :(

5. justnick macrumors newbie

Happened on mine, all started when i plugged in my new ipod shuffle and it froze. After rebooting, nothing. Just a blnksscreen and arrow. Tried everything, eventually in safemode managed to back up some stuff, but had to do a clean install. Still the same. Got panicky, then was told to take the ram out, and put it back in. Worked.

Had the same problem though when it went to sleep. So will try the thing mentioned in preferences...

Fingers crossed eh!

6. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

That was a huge problem with the MP Early '08 when they came out. I know some people narrowed it down to certain USB devices that were attached.

I seem to remember that there was an EFI update that helped a lot of people.

7. jrmora71 macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro freezes upon sleeping

Hello:
    I had the same freezing problems after closing the lid and going to sleep mode in my maxed up MacBook Pro (17" 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, 250GB OCZ Vertex SSD). Very annoying! Nonetheless, after googling a lot, I apparently solved this proble by changing the sleeping mode modality from "3" (default in the newest machines) to "0" (older modality).

Here is a more detailed explanation:

After you launch Terminal, the first step is to determine which sleep mode your Mac is currently using (in case you wish to go back to it). You can both view and change the sleep mode using the Unix program pmset. To see your current settings, type pmset -g | grep hibernatemode. You should see something like this:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode hibernatemode 3

Great, so your machine is using mode 3, whatever that might be. Well, thanks to the documentation for the handy Deep Sleep Dashboard widget, which puts your machine immediately into hibernation mode (so you don’t have to yank all the power sources to invoke it), we can tell exactly which mode is which:

0 - Old style sleep mode, with RAM powered on while sleeping, safe sleep disabled, and super-fast wake.
    1 - Hibernation mode, with RAM contents written to disk, system totally shut down while “sleeping,” and slower wake up, due to reading the contents of RAM off the hard drive.
    3 - The default mode on machines introduced since about fall 2005. RAM is powered on while sleeping, but RAM contents are also written to disk before sleeping. In the event of total power loss, the system enters hibernation mode automatically.

To change your sleep mode, you use pmset again, providing the variable and value you wish to assign. So to return to the old style sleep mode (which is mode 0 from the above list), enter this command:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Press Return, and you’ll be asked for your password. Provide it, and your sleep mode has been changed. Note that restarting is not required for these changes to take effect.

Recover some drive space
    If your machine was previously set to mode 3 (or 7 ) and you’ve reverted to the old style sleep mode, you’ve got one more step to take: recover the drive space used up by the copy of your system’s RAM, which was created the last time you slept the machine prior to making the switch. In Terminal, enter these two commands, pressing Return after each and providing your password when asked (in my case it didn't ask for my password again after changing the sleep mode)

cd /var/vm
    sudo rm sleepimage

In my case it released almost 8GB of disc space. I guess it will closely amount the amount of RAM your system has. Ironically, by trying to make a "super system" by paying $2,000 for 8GB RAM plus the SSD drive, it might have been to much RAM to copy and recover to the SSD every time the system goes to sleep and wakes up...as they say "the best is sometimes enemy of the good".

Good luck!

JR Mora

8. jrmora71 macrumors newbie

MACBOOK PRO FREEZES UPON SLEEPING: probably too much RAM is being saved to the hard d

jrmora71 // 07/09/2009 at 10:06 am

I had the same freezing problems after closing the lid and going to sleep mode in my maxed up MacBook Pro (17″ 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, 250GB OCZ Vertex SSD). Very annoying! Nonetheless, after googling a lot, I apparently solved this proble by changing the sleeping mode modality from “3″ (default in the newest machines) to “0″ (older modality).

Here is a more detailed explanation:

After you launch Terminal, the first step is to determine which sleep mode your Mac is currently using (in case you wish to go back to it). You can both view and change the sleep mode using the Unix program pmset. To see your current settings, type pmset -g | grep hibernatemode. You should see something like this:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode hibernatemode 3

Great, so your machine is using mode 3, whatever that might be. Well, thanks to the documentation for the handy Deep Sleep Dashboard widget, which puts your machine immediately into hibernation mode (so you don’t have to yank all the power sources to invoke it), we can tell exactly which mode is which:

0 - Old style sleep mode, with RAM powered on while sleeping, safe sleep disabled, and super-fast wake.
    1 - Hibernation mode, with RAM contents written to disk, system totally shut down while “sleeping,” and slower wake up, due to reading the contents of RAM off the hard drive.
    3 - The default mode on machines introduced since about fall 2005. RAM is powered on while sleeping, but RAM contents are also written to disk before sleeping. In the event of total power loss, the system enters hibernation mode automatically.

To change your sleep mode, you use pmset again, providing the variable and value you wish to assign. So to return to the old style sleep mode (which is mode 0 from the above list), enter this command:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Press Return, and you’ll be asked for your password. Provide it, and your sleep mode has been changed. Note that restarting is not required for these changes to take effect.

Recover some drive space
    If your machine was previously set to mode 3 (or 7 ) and you’ve reverted to the old style sleep mode, you’ve got one more step to take: recover the drive space used up by the copy of your system’s RAM, which was created the last time you slept the machine prior to making the switch. In Terminal, enter these two commands, pressing Return after each and providing your password when asked (in my case it didn’t ask for my password again after changing the sleep mode)

cd /var/vm
    sudo rm sleepimage

In my case it released almost 8GB of disc space. I guess it will closely amount the amount of RAM your system has. Ironically, by trying to make a “super system” by paying $2,000 for 8GB RAM plus the SSD drive, it might have been to much RAM to copy and recover to the SSD every time the system goes to sleep and wakes up…as they say “the best is sometimes enemy of the good”.

Good luck!

JR Mora

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Which Mac Pro model are you having sleep problems with?

10. pprior macrumors 65816

11. curlydog macrumors newbie

I'm having similar issues with my MacBook Pro 15" 2.5GHz Intel Core Duo, running 10.5.8.

On trying to wake it from sleep I got a black screen with a pointer that you could move but nothing to move it on. I did a powerbutton reset. I started up sluggishly an when I finally logged on it had a pointer freeze, and I had to remove the battery to reboot.

I thought it might have been Little Snitch, which I was trying out, so I uninstalled. Every thing seemed fine until I get total pointer & keyboard freeze whilst running Firefox.
    Had to remove battery again - this time I get the spinning beach ball of death..argh.
    Hold down power button this time it restarts successfully. But there's a lot of CPU usage and disc churning for a good while after.

I'm perplexed.
    Any ideas?

curlydog

12. varera macrumors member

Same here. It has been started some time after I installed Little Snitch. I have removed it, but it did not help.

It is really annoying and scary, I am quite afraid of loosing my laptop with all the date.

13. varera macrumors member

Found the issue. The problem is about Microsoft RDP client. Removed it, using CoRD now. No freezes for one month.

14. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Huh? Can you elaborate for us stupider folks?

15. CareyCondor macrumors newbie

The MS RDP client Varera is talking about is just the MS remote desktop client. I doubt many of us with this problem are using it.

I'm having the same issue with my early 2009 17" 2.66 C2D. It's intermittent but frustrating.

However, even if most people with this issue aren't using remote desktop, maybe each instance has to do with a specific piece of software we have open at the time we close the lid.

When I'm using my laptop I almost always have Adobe Ps and Flash, Google Chrome, Microsoft Office, Entourage, and Excel all open at the same time. Maybe I'll start closing certain of those programs before putting the computer to sleep to test.

Anybody else using any of this same software at the time of freeze after waking up?

16. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Thanks for that.

I'm having the same problem with a 2008 Octo and am definitely not using MS RDP.

It started for me after I installed logitech control center, but uninstalling didn't help. I wonder if there's still some residual files leftover somewhere.

17. CareyCondor macrumors newbie

Hm, I have Logitech Control Center installed as well. Maybe this is our common software issue.

Here's a thread about removing it from OSX, with references to where to find the uninstaller and also a post about half way down about some extra files that might need to be deleted. They mention some feature called Application Enhancer that seems to be the main cause of problems in Leopard.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5598981

Apparently the newest version of LCC doesn't use Application Enhancer, so maybe I'll try that out to see what I can see.

18. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Thanks! I'm going to check this out as soon as I get into work tonight.

19. arcsbite Guest

although I posted my issues in here 3 years ago, it may be worth me pointing out that I also had LCC installed at the time

20. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I tried tracking down those Application Enhancer files listed in the referenced thread, but can't find any of them. I must've had a newer Logitech installer. I wonder if there's something else related to Logitech.

I wonder if an SMC reset would affect this at all. I'm going to try that next time I have a chance. I'm rendering on a deadline right now, so I guess I better not mess with such things at the moment.

21. fiete macrumors newbie

Thanks for the interesting information. I have the same problem, and I am also using LCC. I have deinstalled the LCC and wait, if the problem disappears.

CareyCondor, do I understand you right, is the newest version of LCC without the Application Enhancer better?

Regards, Fiete

22. fiete macrumors newbie

Now the freeze happened again - even without LCC installed.
    Some more parameters of my system:
    I am running Windows 7 in the parallels environment. Moreover, I have an external monitor and an external hard disk connected.

One funny thing is, that the front LED switches on if the screen is closed and it switches of if the screen is open.

Does anybody have an idea what else can be the reason for the freeze?