Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ljones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
http://www.urbansory.com/video/?id=ssproblem

Preparing for work a few days ago, shortly after i updated my iPod, i see it flickering. So i snapped this video to see if anyone else had this occur. The problem went away right after i moved the mouse. hasn't happened since. I'm just glad i noticed it before leaving for work, other wise it would have done this all day, or hopefully the monitor would have timed out after the 10 minute idle.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Bizarre. Is the connection to the monitor firmly in place? This isn't a typical loose connection problem, but check it anyway. What GPU do you have and what brand monitor? Was it a one-off? :)

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
The OS X installed on my mac pro was kind of corrupted when I first got it.

I reinstalled and a few problems I was having went away.

I had to format, in fact.

Perhaps this is your problem too.

ljones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
All connections are tight. Standard Nvidia 7300. A new Viewsonic 22" Widescreen.

The thing that bothers me is this only happened once. I've let it go to sleep a number of times before and after and I have yet to see it happen.

debracake

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006
I've had the same problem with my iMac G for ages and haven't found a solution yet -- anybody know?

John@Portland

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2006
Terrable Screen Redraw Anomoly

I got my MacPro in the mail last thursday. By the next day I had it mostly set up, then noticed that when playing DVD's, HD Movies, Games, and apples own screen saver Flurry. A line moves from the bottom to the top of the screen in about ten seconds, the line isn't black but rather you can see a time distortion between what is above and below the line. It basically looks like a VCR with the V-hold set wrong. This occurs every thing that moving 2D and 3D graphics are displayed across the screen. I called apple on sunday and giulded me threw software Checks, then advised that I take it in and set an appointment for me later that day. The "Apple Genius" that helped me was a total gerk. The said and wrote in his service report that he determined that the GPU s likly functioning under spec. and that I should have more resonable expectations. I would rely like comments. Is watching a tv show or a DVD with smooth play back an unresonable expectation. My system is a Quad proc 2.66 with 1 Gig ram and the X1900 XT graphics card.

ljones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Only hot corner is the upper right on mine. You can see where the cursor is on the screen in the video. Far from that corner.

chillbob

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
I got my MacPro in the mail last thursday. By the next day I had it mostly set up, then noticed that when playing DVD's, HD Movies, Games, and apples own screen saver Flurry. A line moves from the bottom to the top of the screen in about ten seconds, the line isn't black but rather you can see a time distortion between what is above and below the line. It basically looks like a VCR with the V-hold set wrong. This occurs every thing that moving 2D and 3D graphics are displayed across the screen. I called apple on sunday and giulded me threw software Checks, then advised that I take it in and set an appointment for me later that day. The "Apple Genius" that helped me was a total gerk. The said and wrote in his service report that he determined that the GPU s likly functioning under spec. and that I should have more resonable expectations. I would rely like comments. Is watching a tv show or a DVD with smooth play back an unresonable expectation. My system is a Quad proc 2.66 with 1 Gig ram and the X1900 XT graphics card.

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem and eventually i found that it was the screen saver, once it had run the next time i used the computer i found that the performance had degraded and the line that go's up like a bad VCR started appearing, it even noticeably effected the smoothness of the dock and minimisation of open windows. its like the screen savers are buggy and still consume masses of system resources even though not currently active e.g. i found that all of my 3Gb of RAM was used. It would remain like this until restart.

Now i have the screen saver disabled and just have the monitors set to switch off after 10 minits. No problems at all

p.s. i got the tip from my friend who runs Linux and told me that Linux screensavers are notorious for leaky memory

waffles497

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
me too

I just got a new machine at work that is a mac pro and we purchased two 20" monitors (not from apple) and i'm having a similar issue that I saw on your video. It wont continuously flicker but it might flicker just like yours once or twice and then stop. I also have a problem where it will go into screen saver mode for no reason or after I am in screensaver and I unlock it it will log in but a split second later jump back into screen saver mode. I dont know why it's doing this but i may have to just turn off the screen saver according to what I read on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.