mac pro grafik cards

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ghost, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ghost macrumors newbie

do you think its posible to put the stadard gf 7300 in one of the other pci-express slots and use it for osx. then put in a hi-end pc grafik card fore games in boot-camp?

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Couldnt you just put the Quadro in and use it on both sides?

3. CTYankee macrumors 6502

I'm sure in a few days all the PC stuff we've been eying for years will get tossed in these for testing...video cards, USB/FW cards, et etc etc

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I don't know why it WOULDN'T work, aside from the fact that the Mac uses EFI, and needs video cards with EFI firmwares; and some cards do not have EFI firmware, just old-fashioned VGA BIOSes.

As long as the card has an EFI firmware AND a VGA BIOS, it should work just fine on the Windows side. (EFI so the Mac will initialize it, VGA so Windows can talk to it. One of the things Boot Camp does is fake a VGA BIOS for Windows' benefit.)

And, please, please, use at least semi-proper grammar and spelling... From your spelling, I would assume that you are a native German speaker with little English knowledge. (If it's true, fine, but if you're a native English speaker, come on... Use spell check at least.)

5. ghost thread starter macrumors newbie

im from sweden.

yes i know that apple dont use bios but the question is more about, if windows in boot camp can recognizes pc pci-express cards.

sorry for my spelling but i have dyslexia

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

That we don't know for sure. For the hardware to initialize a video card, the video card must have an EFI firmware. For Windows to recognize a card, it must have a VGA BIOS. So if a card has both, it should work just fine.

If a card is missing the EFI firmware, then the hardware will not recognize it on boot, and Windows may-or-may-not recognize it properly. The only way to find out is for someone to try it.