Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
Hey, quick question here for those more knowledgeable than me...

I just received my Mac Pro (Yay!) and I'm trying to figure out whether to use the one 250 gig drive that came in it with OS X installed as my boot drive, or install OS X on my Seagate Barracuda 320 gig drive and use that as the main drive. I'm just wondering if there's going to be much of a difference in terms of speed, or if there's any other differences I should be aware of.

Thanks for your help!

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Xcat said:
Hey, quick question here for those more knowledgeable than me...

I just received my Mac Pro (Yay!) and I'm trying to figure out whether to use the one 250 gig drive that came in it with OS X installed as my boot drive, or install OS X on my Seagate Barracuda 320 gig drive and use that as the main drive. I'm just wondering if there's going to be much of a difference in terms of speed, or if there's any other differences I should be aware of.

Thanks for your help!

What do you plan to use the Mac Pro for?

Video, photo, gaming...? If Photo or Video, then may be an idea to use the 250Gb as system drive and 320Gb as your scratch/media drive... (larger capacity).

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
Danksi said:
What do you plan to use the Mac Pro for?

Video, photo, gaming...?

Video is my main reason for it, some gaming on the side, I do design work in Photoshop and such, and it's also just my main computer now for general internet and word processing.

Looking at the two hard drive's specs, I see not much of a difference other than the Seagate having a 16 megabyte cache, versus the 8 megabyte of the one in the Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.