Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mister880

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2002
Hey I just picked up my Mac Pro at CompUSA, was wondering if anyone could recommend 3 good drives with make / model / size for the new machine.

I am wanting to use two drives for OS X, one for Linux and one for Windows

Kevin

ampd

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
I only buy seagate, and they are the same brand of hard drives that apple uses in the mac pro. I will be soon running 3 750gb and 1 250gb hard drives, so my recommendation would be 3 750s :)

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
mister880 said:
Hey I just picked up my Mac Pro at CompUSA, was wondering if anyone could recommend 3 good drives with make / model / size for the new machine.

Kevin

Right now the 320GB drive is the best value. Anandtech does a good comparison of two drives [one from Seagate and one from Western Digital]

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2803

TedSlawski

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2006
western massachusetts
Western Digital Caviar

Mine came with a Western Digital Caviar 250Gig and in the new XBench test that compares a dual 2MHZ G5 to it, the hard disk tests killed it. I have had great luck with Barracudas and ordered an 80gig drive fo $60 to see if it makes a big difference. With this drive and 1 gig of RAM using Photoshop and GoLive together is a painful experience. I have another gig of RAM coming tomorrow (there is only so much money I can throw at this thing) which should help a lot. I also was using my firewire external Maxtor 300gig as a scratch drive and it kept spinning down while I was using Photoshop, you can imagine what fun that is. I will compare the two drives when the Seagate gets here and post the results.

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
TedSlawski said:
Mine came with a Western Digital Caviar 250Gig and in the new XBench test that compares a dual 2MHZ G5 to it, the hard disk tests killed it. I have had great luck with Barracudas and ordered an 80gig drive fo $60 to see if it makes a big difference. With this drive and 1 gig of RAM using Photoshop and GoLive together is a painful experience. I have another gig of RAM coming tomorrow (there is only so much money I can throw at this thing) which should help a lot. I also was using my firewire external Maxtor 300gig as a scratch drive and it kept spinning down while I was using Photoshop, you can imagine what fun that is. I will compare the two drives when the Seagate gets here and post the results.

One of the reasons I returned the Mac Pro was because of the horrible hard disk speed.

X bench clocked it at 56.66... I installed a Parallel ATA Hard Disk for grins, and it scored a 56.73

Sad, Apple... Sad.

The Inevitable

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2006
If you're willing to trade capacity for speed, there aren't any SATA HDs faster than Western Digital's Raptor line.

There are currently three 10K RPM, 16MB cache models available:

150GB (WD1500ADFD) for about $250
74GB (WD740ADFD) for about $160
36GB (WD360ADFD for about $110

They come with a 5-year warranty and are supposed to be reliable, since they're built with enterprises in mind. I plan on getting the 74GB model to run my games off of when I get my Mac Pro, and, eventually, the 36GB model to use to run OS X and Windows off of (and use the HD that comes with the Mac Pro to hold my Users folder). I anticipate a considerable speed boost from those drives. :D

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
I put a 150gb raptor in my G5, this drive definitely offers a speed benefit. I could only image a few of them in a RAID stripe.

Its pretty quiet too, not any louder than other drives I have had in the past.

The Inevitable said:
If you're willing to trade capacity for speed, there aren't any SATA HDs faster than Western Digital's Raptor line.

There are currently three 10K RPM, 16MB cache models available:

150GB (WD1500ADFD) for about $250
74GB (WD740ADFD) for about $160
36GB (WD360ADFD for about $110

They come with a 5-year warranty and are supposed to be reliable, since they're built with enterprises in mind. I plan on getting the 74GB model to run my games off of when I get my Mac Pro, and, eventually, the 36GB model to use to run OS X and Windows off of (and use the HD that comes with the Mac Pro to hold my Users folder). I anticipate a considerable speed boost from those drives. :D

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
MacProGuy said:
One of the reasons I returned the Mac Pro was because of the horrible hard disk speed.

X bench clocked it at 56.66... I installed a Parallel ATA Hard Disk for grins, and it scored a 56.73

Sad, Apple... Sad.

XBench is inaccurate. It just gives a general idea; I'd say it's probably performing pretty close to identically.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
The Inevitable said:
I anticipate a considerable speed boost from those drives. :D
If your expecting a considerable speed boost you may well be disapointed. The Raptors were it a few years ago, but the newer 7500rpm drives have really caught up in performaance. Also know that the Raptors will considerably increse the db comming out of your system. Fast they are, quiet they are not. If not knocking them, I have a 74GB (8 MB cache) on my windows box and have not had any problems. I just think that there are better options out there today.

TedSlawski

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2006
western massachusetts
TedSlawski said:

Got the 'cuda and it's definitely faster but not by enough to jump up and down. These drives sure feel faster than the ATA in my dual 800 quicksilver, I think Xbench is out to lunch. I think there is a lot of tweaking that needs to be done to the system to have one of these fly. The times that stuff takes varies a lot, I expected never to see a beach ball in the finder but sometimes widows are slow to re-draw, stuff bounces in the dock, they definitely went for the "get it out the door" and if you look at it that way, it's pretty damned impressive. I should have been more patient. The next OS release with a native Adobe creative suite, cheaper RAM prices, Oh well, sometimes you just have to act on a whim.

TheFuzz

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
LA
my mac pro arrived last night and i installed this barracuda 7200.10. this thing doesn't make a sound and it seems much faster than the wd250 that came with the machine but i don't have any numbers to back that up so....

anyway, there's my recommendation, i'm ordering two more and i'll take out the wd250 and set it up as an external.

stoaka

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
Additinal Drive for a new Mac Pro

Kevin

Hello Kevin,
Normally when you ask for advise on these forums you get more confused as at the end of email link you still dont know what you should do. :) I am sure you agree with me on that one.

Well I am in same situation as I have a brand new Mac Pro also. I wonder what have you decided.

I was wondering why nobody mentioned the overheating issue on 750 GB drives. Is that an issue of past?

Well I will be curious to know what you have decided.

- Stoaka

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

Just my 2 cents here... I am going to outfit my mac pro with 4 750gb we se16 drives nice compromise of speed and size and price

stoaka

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

Just my 2 cents here... I am going to outfit my mac pro with 4 750gb we se16 drives nice compromise of speed and size and price

Hey Thanks! That was great. So you will take out the drive it came with and re-install operating system? My Apple OS is zero. I have been a PC User all my life.

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004

stoaka said:

Hey Thanks! That was great. So you will take out the drive it came with and re-install operating system? My Apple OS is zero. I have been a PC User all my life.

That's right. Installing the os on the 750gb drive is a pretty easy process. Just boot from the included DVD with the option key or c key and follow the prompts

stoaka

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007

That's right. Installing the os on the 750gb drive is a pretty easy process. Just boot from the included DVD with the option key or c key and follow the prompts

Qpid! Have you added/upgraded your DVD Writer? And the 750 GB drive you mentioned earlier by WD is called Cavier? Thanks!

stoaka

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007

I just got my Caviar 750HD. Now I need to install it and re-install OS.
Hope I wont have any problems.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I just got my Caviar 750HD. Now I need to install it and re-install OS.
Hope I wont have any problems.

Just use superduper to clone the original disk to the new one and you are all set. No reinstall required and you keep all your apps and settings.

Cheers,

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Does anyone know if one of the internal SATA cables can become external without me putting in a eSATA PCIe card in my Mac Pro? Will the onboard SATA port handle it?

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Does anyone know if one of the internal SATA cables can become external without me putting in a eSATA PCIe card in my Mac Pro? Will the onboard SATA port handle it?

yeah a bunch of people have done this. You can get that insert card that connects them, but it won't be hot-swappable:

221009A.jpg

Get one of those and you can connect your eSATA hard drives to it.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
yeah a bunch of people have done this. You can get that insert card that connects them, but it won't be hot-swappable:

221009A.jpg

Get one of those and you can connect your eSATA hard drives to it.

Thanks! Don't really care about hot swapability, just a fast connection. I should get the same speeds as I would if I put in a PCIe card, right? Upto 3.0Gbps? I am asking this because I am about to invest in external storage (Raid 5 setup) and only have one PCIe slot left which is going to be used very soon, so I will have zero PCie slots...I still don't know how I am going to run out this port multiplier. I wish the ATI card didn't take two PCI brackets...

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Thanks! Don't really care about hot swapability, just a fast connection. I should get the same speeds as I would if I put in a PCIe card, right? Upto 3.0Gbps? I am asking this because I am about to invest in external storage (Raid 5 setup) and only have one PCIe slot left which is going to be used very soon, so I will have zero PCie slots...I still don't know how I am going to run out this port multiplier. I wish the ATI card didn't take two PCI brackets...

As far as I know, it's the exact same thing as an internal drive. The system doesn't know the difference, it just knows a drive is connected to a SATA port.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
Get 3 500GB Seagate drives, they are super cheap, and excellent drives, I have that on my mac pro, for normal users (Video editing, sound editing) Raid is not necessary, and increse the risk of data lost. If you do HD (Native) you will need a Raid, so in that case, get 1 500GB modelm and 2 750GB model to put them in raid. And get a Raid controller card, because the Software Raid is not near as fast.

Good luck.
(Dont get 10.000k drives, they are too small and not that fast)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.