Mac Pro Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gallinger, Sep 7, 2006.

1. gallinger macrumors regular

2. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

Any SATA will do!

I'd recommend this one.. cheaper and it's seagate (seagate = better)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

Look around newegg.com's hard drive selection, divide the price by the amount of gigs and decide that way (lowest price/gig wins!)

Avoid Maxtor/Quantum and shy away from IBM/Hitachi

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm not so sure of that at this point in time. Comparative tests between the Seagate 7200.10 and the WD 3200KS (both 320Gb SATA drives) came down in favour of the WD. OK I've just re-read that and the Seagate wins, but the WD is almost as fast, quieter and cooler so I'd still buy it.

To the OP: any 3.5" SATA drive will work just fine. A website did find strange behaviour with 4x750Gb ones though...

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Is that based on the 2Tb limit that I read somewhere recently?

5. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

I'd say Seagate is better with their 5 year warranty. 1 year versus 5 years... no contest... Seagate is now my brand of choice.

6. gallinger thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. When I get it, Do I have to format it or anything?
    Its just i was reading somewhere on this forum and people were saying it it got messed up cause they never formated it?

thanks

7. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Disk Utility, format it HFS+ if it's going to be used only on a Mac.

8. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I put that exact drive in Bay two and it blew up my computer. Just kidding.

It works really well and it's really fast.

9. gallinger thread starter macrumors regular

which hard drive did u put in? the western digital or the seagate

10. aiongiant macrumors 6502a

i bought the Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATA2
    in Bay 2 of my Mac Pro
    super fast!!
    79MB/sec Speed unlike the WD that coems with my Mac Pro.. i get a mere 59MB/sec

11. chatin macrumors 6502

chatin

12. mus0r macrumors regular

I don't trust Seagate; I've had so many of them fail it's not even funny. A five year warranty is nice, but it doesn't prevent failure and it certainly doesn't get your data back. I'd rather stick with Maxtor and WD because I've had better luck with them. I've only had one of each brand fail in the 12 years or so I've been using them, and far more failures with Seagate. But your milage may vary.

13. EvilMonk macrumors regular

EvilMonk

Hey mate, guess who buyed maxtor, yeah Seagate:D

14. mus0r macrumors regular

Them bastids buyed Maxtor? I is teh sad :(

15. EvilMonk macrumors regular

EvilMonk

What?:eek:
    I dont understand:confused:

16. TheFuzz macrumors regular

me too, and it's sooooo quiet compared to the wd that shipped with my mac pro.

17. mus0r macrumors regular

I was poking fun at you for using "buyed" rather than bought. "Buyed" is not a word. ;)

18. EvilMonk macrumors regular

EvilMonk

Sorry french canadian inside, bought then;)

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

[​IMG]

Kay, it's "bought", not "buyed" - yikes... But don't worry, that is nowhere near as bad as:

How about: "Those bastards bought Maxtor? This makes me sad."

Even though it was in jest, thanks for giving me a chance to take on my Grammar Police role again guys, it's been a while. :D :cool:

20. thelowB macrumors newbie

thelowB

I love how these threads can turn into something completely different in about three entries.

~Shard~ read all the replies before dropping "The Grammer":D

To stay on topic, I find it interesting that most people seemed to get a WD when my Mac Pro came with a Seagate.

21. MacCurry macrumors 6502

I've not tried the 320GB Seagate in the Mac Pro, but in my peecee its so hot you could cook an egg on it and can't touch it without 2nd degree burns, and that after it has good cooling and airflow. In my Mac Pro I put a 500GB Maxtor SATA-3 and its surprisingly cool. I do notice that it makes noises once in a while like its spinning when I'm not accessing it. Is it indexing or something?

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I did, hence my last statement to clarify things. Evidently it wasn't clear enough that I did indeed realize the comments were made in jest (even though that's exactly what I said)... ;)

23. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I have never had a problem with Western Digital and actually prefer their drives.

I have never had one of those fail on me. Whereas Seagate, one could argue that they need the 5yr warranty otherwise there would be a lot of pissed off customers. I wont go there though.

Anyhow, I would recommened that everyone buy OEM drives. The OEM Western Digital drives have a 5yr warranty like this one here
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144408

The only difference between OEM is and retail is that with OEM you just get the drives, nothing else. I prefer this as I like to keep boxes around. This cuts down on that. Plus, since the Mac Pro is cableless you dont need the junk it comes with anyway.

Western Digitals replacement process is great as well. They send you a new drives you send the old one back in a prepaid box. Couldnt be better, and it is fast.

So, OEM is the way to go folks you get a longer warranty and less clutter!

EDIT: I made a mistake, that drive I linked is an enterprise class drive. Thus the 5yr warranty. Typical WD OEM drives have a 3yr. Like this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136003

24. briantology macrumors 6502

Okay, this is one of those really weird coincidental things. It literally just happened. As I was visiting newegg.com and when I looked at the Seagate Barracuda hard drive, It reminded me of the song "Barracuda" by Heart, so I sang out "Barracuda!" and then literally less than a second later, the sang came on while on shuffle in iTunes. Maybe I should get a 320GB Barracuda HDD...

25. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

Sorry I wasn't clear before, I put the WD 320 Gig in Bay 2 on my mac pro. It works just fine. Beyond that I couldn't say anything. I think I bought it b/c it was on sale and it was a really good price.