Mac Pro iDVD/iMovie crashes

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kurt W., Oct 31, 2006.

1. Kurt W. macrumors newbie

After two years of happily editing video on my G4 Powerbook, I dug deep and sprung for a 3 GHz mac pro for a larger project. It's been a nightmare. iMovie freezes when moving clips, forcing a quit -- and inexplicably dumps long-edited clips in the trash, forcing me to choose between unscrambling and reconstructing or losing work since the last (maniacal) save. iDVD snags on audio coding and won't burn at all. The resident genius was helpful but had no solutions. Others apps are slightly buggy (Aperture import was half-baked, iTunes crashed) and I wonder if I screwed this up by using the "migration assistant" in moving files over. Thoughts? Suggestions? Many thanks.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah a lot of people had a problem with the migrate assistant back when the intel macs first emerged, it appears sometimes ppc files are moved over and replace intel/universal ones.

The best bet at this stage would be to do a clean install of your operating system in all honesty.

Then manually bring programs/files across, maybe by just copying them to an external HD or using your other mac in target mode..

3. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Yep, sounds like the migration assistant. I've had a couple of apps quit on me on my MP, but nothing as bad as that. Reinstall, and give Apple an update or two, and reliability will be back up to as close to 100% as possible.

David

4. Kurt W. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Guys -- thanks so much. I'll give it a shot and post back. Really appreciate the help.

5. videoten macrumors newbie

kurt w., please do post whether the reinstall solves this problem. as a potential mac pro buyer for video editing, i am more than curious to see if you continue to have problems.

i'll keep my fingers crossed for you...and thanks in advance for posting.

6. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

For whats its worth my Mac Pro has been rock solid in iMovie, even when doing several other stuff in the background.

7. Kurt W. thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Kurt W. thread starter macrumors newbie

Repaired permissions instead

OK, well, I decided to try repairing permissions rather than reinstalling OSX. Seems to be working fine, and it was sure easier than reinstalling all of that other software! Lesson One: Never use Migration Assistant. Thanks, all.