MAc Pro IDVD .. question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NTJetboater, Nov 6, 2006.

1. NTJetboater macrumors member

I am trying to make a dvd with 3 chapters, the 1rst is 5mins(1.1gig), 2nd is 9(2.2)mins and the 3rd is another 5minutes.
    I dropped the first one into autoplay and it works as it should. After the clip is done it takes me back to the menu. When you hit play it starts the 2nd clip and when that one is done it goes back to MM and I have to hit play again, then the 3rd clips starts..strange.
    I am using the clips I made in Imovie..sure would be nice to be able to drop mpeg2 clips in there also

I want the dvd to either autoplay all clips ina row or have a simple menu hit play and then all clips play in sequence???

Suggestions..what am I missing?
    I do not want to have to hit play to continue watching my DVDs next clips

Just converting from PC...but the MP is wicked

Here is one of the clips..well part of it
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=q7hrj_f-Ous

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Hey up there in Yellowknife - hope the weather's less miserable than ours at the moment! ;)

I had to refresh my memory with iDVD, but I can't figure out how you'd do what you want to do in iDVD alone. (I've done it a few times in DVD Studio Pro!)

Anyway - I suggest you pull your clips into iMovie, create one large movie, with three chapters (one for each of your clips). When you import the larger movie into iDVD, is should maintain the chapters. You'll then have the option to 'PLAY ALL' (which will just play the longer movie) as well as create a chapter menu, which will allow you to select a particular chapter.

3. NTJetboater thread starter macrumors member

-16c and snowing:cool:
    Just finished playing road hockey with the kids(in the dark), there sleeping.. now it's work time.
    So I can take my exported dv clips from Imovie( I exported around 120 clips into one dv file) and bring the 3 dv clips back in to Imovie and export again to Idvd? or export to one big 4.6 gig dv file then into Idvd and drop it into the autoplay.
    I really need to set up the menu properly also.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

-16! Brrr... our snow's turned to rain, just as well, caught a few of us without winter tyres on Friday! :eek:

If I understand correctly, you have 3 clips, which you could drag to the iMovie timeline, add some chapter markers, one at the start of each clip - then export the timeline as a single DV file (or export to iDVD directly).

You should then be able to import the new DV file into iDVD. You could then drag it into the 'autoplay' box, to play straight away, after which it'll return to the main menu.

You could also create a 'play' button on the main-menu, to play the single movie all over again - as well as a chapter button and sub-menu, which would allow you to select the three chapters individually.

I'm assuming you've used iMovie a bit beforehand, but if not, let us know.

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Since you mentioned you were new to the Mac, I've just tried this myself.. seemed a little too easy, but hopefully be a guide:-

In iMovie '06:-

1. Drag the 3 clips to the timeline.
    2. Drag the Playhead to where you'd like the first marker to be, most likely the start of the first clip. Select Chapter, then 'add chapter'.
    3. Repeat 2 for each chapter (e.g. start of each clip)
    4. Save the iMovie project
    5. From menu, select 'share' > iDVD

Should import the new movie straight into iDVD:

1. Select the iDVD theme you prefer.
    2. You should see the main menu automatically comes up with 'Play Movie' & 'Scene Select' buttons.
    3. Select the 'dvd tree' view (lower middle of screen).
    4. You should now see the 'autoplay' box, as well as the main menu and scene selection menu and the three movie chapters.
    5. Drag the 'play movie' box into the 'autoplay' box - which should 'copy' the whole movie to the autoplay box, leaving the original where it was.

6. Press 'PLAY/Simulate' to see if this is the effect you wanted.

As I mentioned above, it should play the 3 clips automatically, one after the other, then return to the main menu. From the main menu, you can then either select play movie, or select chapter, which would allow you to play the 3 clips/chapters individually.

Hope it helps.
    :)

6. NTJetboater thread starter macrumors member

Capturing and multitasking

On another note.
    How come I can not have 2 Imovie project open at the same time???
    I guess what I mean is last nite I was capturing a 20 min clip in one large file. While it was cpturing I wanted to work on another project and Imovie made me wait till the capture was complete..thats not why I bought a MP
    any ideas

7. NTJetboater thread starter macrumors member