Mac Pro: Latest EFI update won't work

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Simon R., Dec 28, 2006.

1. Simon R. macrumors 6502

I have tried this about 20 times now, with and without USB/FireWire devices plugged in, still to no avail. When I hold down the powerbutton and it flashes, I get to the progress indicator and it shows for a brief moment, then the Mac reboots without having performed the update :( Anyone who have a clue or are experiencing the same problem?

2. waremaster macrumors 6502

Are you booting too a Raid setup?

3. Simon R. thread starter macrumors 6502

No. I have two drives set up as a RAID now, but I tried updating when they were not raided. But my boot drive is not in a RAID setup.

4. waremaster macrumors 6502

What is the error you get?

5. Simon R. thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't get any error. The progress indicator just pops up for a split second, then the Mac reboots and the update hasn't been performed.

6. tomllama macrumors regular

I found out the hard way (after 45 minutes on the phone to AppleCare) that it will not work from a RAID. Even after I changed from a RAID to a stand-alone boot drive, it took a couple tries to get it to run. I think it finally worked after I did a complete power off and restarted (not just a restart).

By the way, the Migration Assistant will not work from a RAID either (also learned the hard way).

7. aneks macrumors regular

From painful experience I have learned not to RAID my os Drive. Instead I use a fast drive like a 10k RPM as my os drive and use RAID on my footage drives. This is a pretty standard config in the Film and TV Post Production industry