Mac pro life

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheDance511, Feb 8, 2007.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

Hey.... I plan to buy a mac pro...I wll be doing very intese video encoding. But my question is... How long can i expect to get use from my mac pro system? Years? I have never owned a Mac before...accept one of the early ones in 94 i think... haha.. so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:) :apple: :apple:

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You will probably get 2 or 3 years out of it doing that, but depending on how much money you make from it you may want to upgrade sooner.

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

depend on how much you want to stay with the "best and latest"... if you are a sucker for the best and latest, maybe half an yr... otherwise, there are still ppl using macs from, oh i dont know, 4 5 yrs ago and they work just fine.

:rolleyes: try spell :rolleyes: it's funny how ... nvm, i'll play nice, just try spell check next time.. or just try spell next time.

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

*That is, if you plan to stay at the upper 10th percentile for Mac hardware performance. The computer isn't going to crap out on you in 2-3 years, it'll work for mannnny mannnnnnnny years after that. It simply won't be top of the line anymore.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Macs have better resale value than PCs, but in terms of obsolescence and lifespan it isn't much different. The machines in theory last an extremely long time, but there comes a point where you aren't going to want to use the machine anymore, especially if you're doing intensive work. I'd buy a not-too-souped up Mac Pro, and expect to replace it within 3 years.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Funny... you missed the "wll" in the beginning.

Sorry, I have to say it... but "try spell"?

Back on topic... the Mac Pro will last you a long ass time. Go for it.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, go for it! and the more money you put into now, the longer it will last

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

If your computing demands are not expected to grow in the future I would even dare say the Mac Pro is good enough to last you for the rest of your life.

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

"64k ought to be enough for anybody."

10. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

your mac pro will stay as fast as it is for its life. it will never slow down.

the reason it will appear to be slow in the future is because people will write programs that utilise the power of the computer, and then another computer will come out which does that task quicker, and the whole vicious cycle continues.

If you keep your Mac Pro running 10.4 or 10.5 and CS3 when it comes out, it will always be as fast as it was when you first got the machine.

its all relative... :rolleyes: