Mac Pro - Line Out Weirdness?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dpaanlka, Dec 25, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I just got my mac pro, and I noticed that when I plug my ViewSonic's built in speakers to the Line-Out port on the back the sound doesn't come through. It does, however, if I plug them into the headphone jack in the front.

What am I missing here? This is strange to me coming from several generations of Power Macs. :confused:

2. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Care to share?

4. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

System Preferences -> Sound -> Output -> Line Out

I guess you have to manually set it... isn't that odd for a Mac?

5. dusanv macrumors 6502

What's more odd is that mine came like that, I didn't have to do anything...

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yeah it uses the built-in speaker by default. It had me scratching my head for a while. It still annoys me that Windows uses the built in speaker as well as the line out port though.

7. techster85 macrumors regular

the truly frustrating part is that you can only use the headphone OR the line out, you have to switch between the two sources in System Preferences...

8. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

having to manually set these options is good for those of us who use 3rd party pro audio hardware. Choosing my Firewire 1814 as my primary output / input device, and having it stay that way is exactly what I need.

you must remember that these things were designed with pro applications in mind. In the middle of a mixing / recording session you don't want your audio device switching on you because you plugged in your USB hub that just happens to have an audio device connected to it.

9. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

most pro audio hardware has headphone out integrated, the ports that are on the tower are only there because people would bitch if they weren't.

10. Shekky macrumors newbie

yeah thats true I was confused cause I couldn't figure this out at first lol they should add something about it in the manual or something about having to switch this.