Mac Pro memory problems

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Magian, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Magian macrumors newbie

I was wonderng if anyone else has had a memory failure in their Mac Pros.

My mac pro is only 3 weeks old..:(
    I have 2 GB of RAM (4 x 512MB). On the system profiler i noticed that DIMM 2 on Riser B was showing ECC Errors. When i double clicked on it showed 3 corrected errors. I then ran a memory hungry program (Aperture) and on checking the system profiler i found that the same DIMM had over a million errors.

I phoned Applecare this morning and was told to reset the PRAM (amongst other things) which i promptly did and to my horror Riser B did not even show up in the system profiler. Only 1 GB of RAM was being recognised now. I opened the case and found a red light on Riser B next to the legend DIMM2. I swapped it to slot one and the red light was now next to DIMM 1.

I phoned Applecare again and they are now sending me a new module. (I had to terminate my earlier discussion with Applecare as i was running late for work).

M

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not in my mac pro but did have my stock memory in my powermac G5 die on me.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Bad RAM - replace it (even better, replace the pair), hopefully happy end of story.

4. eMagine macrumors regular

eMagine

same thing happened to me. the memory might be incorrectly seated.

take the ram sticks out and reseat them into the ram sockets then put the risers back.

after doing so my memory is working again.

5. Magian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I did try reseating the RAM and the risers but the computer refused to recognize it. In addition the red light on the riser did not bode well. A new stick is hopefully winging its way to me.

M

6. snipersix macrumors member

I actually have the same problem on my brand new mac pro. I tried placing rams on dimm2. The mac wont recognize it. But if I put it on other slots aside from dimm2, it recognizes it. I have already sent my mac pro back to apple for replacement however, I still have the sane problem. It cant be possible that apple has sent me a defective mac pro twice in a row.

I don't know how to fix it, so I think i will just leave it as is..

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Check your manual - (assuming it's in your native language), see if the RAM you're installing is seated in the correct order. The sequence for current MacPro's are different to the older model.

8. snipersix macrumors member

i believe I have placed the RAMs in correct sequence. But I will go check when I have the time

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

make sure that they are in MATCHED PAIRS

and make sure you have the right one fo royur model, granted they should work, but 667Mhz Pc-5400 for first gen models and 800Mhz PC-6400

if not might be bad memory.

10. snipersix macrumors member

Im pretty sure they are matched pairs, cause, I installed them on the Dimm3 Slot and it works fine, just not dimm2 for some reason