Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aviationwiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
I'm just wondering what the use of having multiple GeForce 7300 GT's in a Mac Pro is for. Is it for improved performance/SLI, or is it just to hook up more monitors?

Thanks!

cjkihlbom

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2006
More monitors.

I've order mine with the standard Geforce 7300 GT and the ordered the Radeon X1900 XT as well so that I can hook up my three Cinema Displays.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
C'mon don't you want a triple 30" display for $8600?

zv-trio-ultrahd_700x206.jpg

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Sun Baked said:
C'mon don't you want a triple 30" display for $8600?

zv-trio-ultrahd_700x206.jpg

I was wondering yesterday how something like Leopard's SPACES will effect multiple monitor setups - I was thinking of a second monitor, but with SPACES I should get to do the same thing (organise my apps on a screen basis) saving a lot of $'s at the same time.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Exactly, I think spaces will be such a great feature. I sold my big lcd that was attached to my powerbook, but with this new feature I don't think I'll need it.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Danksi said:
I was wondering yesterday how something like Leopard's SPACES will effect multiple monitor setups - I was thinking of a second monitor, but with SPACES I should get to do the same thing (organise my apps on a screen basis) saving a lot of $'s at the same time.
Spaces (it's not capitalized) should alleviate some peoples need for multiple monitors, but you still don't get to see all that information at the same time and it doesn't give you any more screen real estate.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I've used spaces before with Ubuntu (linux), yeah its not a new feature, its great but not quite the multi-monitor killer you guys seem to think it is, multi monitor setups are still much easier to use but who knwos, maybe OS X's spaces will be easier to use and organize.

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
I'm not sure if the Macs can do it but PCs can be set up to have the 2 video cards share processors and memory. Which puts less load on one and improves performance. At least this is in theory. I don't know if it actually improves the performance.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
CANEHDN said:
I'm not sure if the Macs can do it but PCs can be set up to have the 2 video cards share processors and memory. Which puts less load on one and improves performance. At least this is in theory. I don't know if it actually improves the performance.
SLI. The 7300GT can do it AFAIK, but the Mac Pro can't. That's what the original question of this thread was asking.

aviationwiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
My friend sent me a short video, he's got a dual monitor set-up between an iMac (20" intel I think) and a 20" cinema display. It looked great. Imagine having say, Windows in Parallels on one monitor, and all your Mac OS stuff on the other. I think Spaces will be a very economical alternative to having multiple monitors. It won't do everything, but it'll do most of it, and included in Leopard.

It's too bad that it isn't SLI, because for $150 I might have done it. Granted, my current PC that I game on has a 6600GT with 128MB, so it'll be an improvement, and hopefully a large improvement over the 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro AGP I have in my PowerMac G5.

rnb2

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2006
West Haven, CT, USA
cjkihlbom said:
More monitors.

I've order mine with the standard Geforce 7300 GT and the ordered the Radeon X1900 XT as well so that I can hook up my three Cinema Displays.

I've heard rumors that nvidia and ATI cards won't work together in the same machine.............

cjkihlbom

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2006
rnb2 said:
I've heard rumors that nvidia and ATI cards won't work together in the same machine.............
Yes, and the rumors are false. The Radeon X1900 XT and the Geforce 7300 GT will work fine together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.