Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Sounds like it may have been damaged during shipping. It happens to the best of computers!

When you get a new one, run it for a few days. In the old days that was called burn-in. I'm not sure it's 100% necessary anymore, but I did it with mine and have never had a single error.

:)

dokebi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
chatin said:
Sounds like it may have been damaged during shipping. It happens to the best of computers!

When you get a new one, run it for a few days. In the old days that was called burn-in. I'm not sure it's 100% necessary anymore, but I did it with mine and have never had a single error.

:)

yea, that's what i am going to do. I tend to use all the power i need with the mac. Going to use all the power it has when i get my new one. :D

going to render maya files, after effects files, final cut pro etc. Darn it, can't wait!!!!!!

ps- anyone who has mac pro who uses same programs as me? how is the mac pro holding up? at work i use G5 quad, time to time it gets little slow but wonder how mac pro will take it.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I don't mean to insult anyone that has posted previously,

but I have always had incredibly good luck with the genius bar at my store.
they always make sure they take care of any machine that is put into their hands, and they are extremely quick ( they strive for a 2day turnaround time maximum. )

if you come in there guns blazing, no one winds up happy. trust me.

but if you come in with a cool and collected attitude they're ( speaking from my experience here YMMV ) very easy to talk to and work with and get the problem solved.

1- i brought in my refurb G5 to them because my processors and power supply were faulty, they had it back to me in less than 2 days and i've never had to take it back since.

2 - i brought them my powerbook g4 to replace the screen due to banding, they replaced the screen for me and had it back the SAME DAY. and again, i've not had to bring it back since.

3- they do stock mac pros in the back, 2.66 standard spec, and some 3.0s with 2GB of ram ( in comparison to the standard config )

don't be afraid to go to the genius bar, just dont act like a jerk to them and they will be more than willing to help you out.

theres my 2.5¢ for ya

dokebi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Obsidian6 said:
I don't mean to insult anyone that has posted previously,

but I have always had incredibly good luck with the genius bar at my store.
they always make sure they take care of any machine that is put into their hands, and they are extremely quick ( they strive for a 2day turnaround time maximum. )

if you come in there guns blazing, no one winds up happy. trust me.

but if you come in with a cool and collected attitude they're ( speaking from my experience here YMMV ) very easy to talk to and work with and get the problem solved.

1- i brought in my refurb G5 to them because my processors and power supply were faulty, they had it back to me in less than 2 days and i've never had to take it back since.

2 - i brought them my powerbook g4 to replace the screen due to banding, they replaced the screen for me and had it back the SAME DAY. and again, i've not had to bring it back since.

3- they do stock mac pros in the back, 2.66 standard spec, and some 3.0s with 2GB of ram ( in comparison to the standard config )

don't be afraid to go to the genius bar, just dont act like a jerk to them and they will be more than willing to help you out.

theres my 2.5¢ for ya

yea the genius bar i went to was great. They were very nice and professional. But this doesnt mean every genius bar in the country will be same as this...there are people who weren't so fortunate like us...one of my co-worker had her power book serviced at the one of the genius bar, but came back with pen marks all over the key board and the case was scratched and beat up and even worse they didnt fix the problem and returned it to her. she went to the genius bar and complained to them about the pen marks and other damages, but they told her those damages were already there when they got it.

Still, if you have problem with mac products, i recommend you visit the genius bar. I say most of them are very professional and treat your mac like their own, but i advise you, if you have to service your any mac products, bring a digital camera and take pictures of your mac at the store before you give it to them, so you have the proof. Could this be too much? maybe...what are the chances your mac will return to you with scatches and other damages? i say it's very slim chance, but if you are one of those unfortunate ones, i say it's good to have the proof then not.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Ok, this is just a clear up on my knowledge really.

with BTO, will Apple take them back for replacements if it turns out to be DOA or defective? IE HDD upgrades and stuff?

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Oh man mine should be here next friday, i pray to god that it works perfectly out of the box. I really cant afford to wait any longer for this computer.

dokebi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
markjones05 said:
Oh man mine should be here next friday, i pray to god that it works perfectly out of the box. I really cant afford to wait any longer for this computer.

yea don't worry. Yours will be fine. All my other friends who bought mac pro or other mac products are enjoying theirs without any problems.

well, for the update on my mac pro.
i recieved the new one as soon as i sent my old broken one back.

MAN!!!! i love it!!! no problem!! nada!!!! so right now everything is working fine. no crashes or kernel panics.

Thanx everyone who helped me and gave me advices. :)

ps- wow(game) is super great in this machine. Everything on full quality no lag on raids and ogrimmar. looks great!!!!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
.like your case is all scratched

I just took my PM into the Apple Store for repair and they got the handcart to take it out to my car - I said "Let's put a towel, cardboard or something betwen the Mac and the metal on the handcart.

They were totally prepared to wheel the thing a quarter-mile out to my car, metal-on-metal. :rolleyes:

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
dokebi said:
yea don't worry. Yours will be fine. All my other friends who bought mac pro or other mac products are enjoying theirs without any problems.

well, for the update on my mac pro.
i recieved the new one as soon as i sent my old broken one back.

MAN!!!! i love it!!! no problem!! nada!!!! so right now everything is working fine. no crashes or kernel panics.

Thanx everyone who helped me and gave me advices. :)

ps- wow(game) is super great in this machine. Everything on full quality no lag on raids and ogrimmar. looks great!!!!

Lol! I thought I was the only person that buys high end computers for heavy duty work and then loaded up and played WoW! Enjoy!

Jamster

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
Mac Pro Nightmare

Hello All,

I have a MacPro nightmare to share with you all. I received my brand new Mac Pro destop in mid August (when they first came out). 2.66 Ghz - 1GB RAM - 500 HD space. Straight out of the box I was getting beach balls on these situations. If I'm running itunes, but am not playing a song and I don't touch the computer for 5-8 min. when I would go to play a song my mac would freeze up (with the beach ball) for about 12-13 sec. This also happened while I was running FCP and Photoshop. My computer was set to sleep after 25 min. I unchecked the option to put my HD to sleep when possible and still the same problem consistantly. I called mac and through the course of 2 weeks they had me try several different things, finally determining that my Mac Pro was "faulty". I returned it and they sent me a second one (It took about 8 days to receive).
My second Mac Pro was dinged up, on both the outside and the inside panel, The mighty mouse was not functioning properly on the left side and I figure

Jamster

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
CONT. and I figured, since I spent close to 4K on this computer I want it to be in proper condition - inside and out. So I return it for yet another one (another week goes by). On receiving the 3rd MAC PRO! The mouse is disfunctional in the same way as the second Mac and the OS is bad like the 1st one! I went down to registered mac store to compare the functionality of another Mac Pro compared to mine (just to make sure I'm not insane) and sure enough - I'm right - it should not be giving me the beach ball freeze for not touching it in 5-8 min. (especially when you have absolutely nothing on your computer and you're running itunes!). The guy at the store suggests that perhaps it is faulty RAM or a faulty "Sleepy" Hard Drive (Hitachi by the way). We looked to see what HD they had for the Demo Mac Pro at this store - and it wasn't Hitachi - it was Seagate (same amount though, 500GB). I thought that was strange. Any suggestions out there on what could be the problem with my New Mac Pro and what I should do about it?

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
Jamster said:
Any suggestions out there on what could be the problem with my New Mac Pro and what I should do about it?
Other people have complained of beachballs with 1GB of RAM and that they disappear with 2GB. Of course it's no guarantee that yours will be the same, but is it possible for you to put more RAM in when you get a machine that doesn't look like it was dropped out of plane straight into your house ;)

As for your current problems, I would request another replacement.

Sean :)

Jamster

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
seanf said:
Other people have complained of beachballs with 1GB of RAM and that they disappear with 2GB.

Thanks for the advice; However, the MacPro I used at the authorized dealer was exactly the same specs except for the different brand of HD (which Mac shipped to them like that) at any rate, it had no problem. I will get a new one, I just wish they could allow me to pick it up at a Mac store - that way I can fire it up with the techs and we can see together that it is working properly. For some reason the mac on-line store won't allow me to do it this way. I've now been nearly 11 weeks without being able to really use my Mac Pro.

ljones

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Well I have to say Apple seems to put very crappy hard drives in. mine makes too much damn noise and I should have a replacement drive within a week. Use this other one as a storage drive.

But 1 gig is definitely not enough for a good number of Rosetta apps, especially photoshop. Mine was a lil sluggish, so i jumped to 3 gigs, and i noticed a huge difference. Also check your activity monitor. Some apps are good for eating a good amount of CPU, you'll know it when you see large spikes in the cpu history. Mplayer does this often to me, as well as a few other apps.

Jamster

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
OS problems with the New Mac Pro intel

Well, I've stumbled onto a few issues with the new Mac Pro desktops. If you open your HD window and try and customize it with color in the icon format- the settings won't take. It will always pop back up in another color. It's frustrating for me because I like to customize the color settings of many of my windows. This is occuring in all mac intel computers that I've come across so far (labtops, imac, desktop, etc.). A bigger issue is occuring (at least in the desktops I've come across - which is about 5). If you leave your computer idle in programs such as itunes, FCP, Photoshop for about 5-7 min. and then go to execute a command it will stall out with the beach ball for about 9-13 sec. every time making for a very sluggish experience. I've discovered that you have to go to system preferences uncheck the option to put your hard disk to sleep when possible and set your CPU to NEVER go to sleep. By doing this your computer will function properly with no stalls. I hope apple works out these bugs soon. I use sleep mode all the time. I would hate to forget to manually put my CPU to sleep and then eventually burn out my monitor as a result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.