Mac Pro: now Official Waiting for MacWorld Thread...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Nov 14, 2007.

  1. macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #1
    I'd say they announce the Mac Pro today or you can forget about it until MacWorld in January, perhaps with new cases and new cinema displays.

    Will they or won't they?
     
  2. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2007
    #2
    I think you is right i do.

    Netdog, I think your spot on. As much as I hate the fact. If they haven't got a system ready, them Macworld will be the next time for one to appear. Although a Pro announcement at a Consumer show is a little odd.

    But then Apples release's have been very unpredictable as of late.
     
  3. macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2007
    #3
    I don't know...but if they don't, why wouldn't they introduce them between tomorrow and MacWorld?...there's a whole eight weeks in there...please forgive me if this is a silly question...

    truly,...

    in the mist...
     
  4. macrumors 68040

    koobcamuk

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    #4
    Just wondered how would would improve the Mac Pro design? I almost think of it as timeless, as I do the ACD. I'll be picking up another ACD once the new ones get released - should get a good few deals!
     
  5. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2007
    #5
    If it's just an upgrade of the current machine. Without changing the look of it.
    Just the video and new processors, and maybe more memory and a bigger drive

    Then the update could be any day from now on. Since the new processors are available. So whenever they are ready to start shipping they can announce it.

    Don't see any reason why they would have to make an event of the release if it's just a 20-30% regular speed bump.

    If they would do a big makeover or split the line into a single socket quad core and a dual socket octo core ( like they did with the PM G5 1.8 single).
    To make a more affordable mac pro, which would be a good move imho.
    Then the announcement could well be at macworld.

    Whichever way i'll be waiting for the upgrade, not gonna dump 3k on a 15 month old config.
     
  6. thread starter macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #6
    Retailers are reluctant to update inventories and stock lists between now and Christmas. They could release it today, as Monday was a holiday (the day of the Intel announcement) hence bumping traditional Tuesday announcements to Wednesday (to give the PR department time to work their stuff), and that would all be a sign that Apple is anxious to update a machine that has been allowed to remain basically unchanged since August 2006.

    If they aren't anxious, they aren't going to bring this dog to market until MacWorld. That was Multi's theory, and I believe he was correct in his analysis.

    It is not almost 5am in California. We should here something in the next hour or two...or not.
     
  7. macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #7
    I hate you Apple. lol. Change that home page, NOW! :D
     
  8. macrumors 65816

    dgdosen

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2003
    Location:
    Seattle
    #8
    I think we'll see them...

    Oddly - I woke up early this morning (west coast) - I think we'll see the upgrades. Apple gobbled up all the early chips, so we'll see improved machines with the same enclosure.

    Bigger changes will come with the next Xeon release.
     
  9. macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #9
    What time(s) could this happen at though? 9am EST? 9am PST? Noon EST? Noon PST? End of the day?
     
  10. Moderator

    OllyW

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2005
    Location:
    The Black Country, England
    #10
    Unless there is a special launch event, the UK store always goes down between 12:00 and 1:00pm.

    It's 1:20pm now and the store is still up......
     
  11. macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #11
    yeah, it's starting to look like Macworld....
     
  12. macrumors member

    trollking

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2007
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #12
    I am really having my doubts about any releses this week. Before the MAcBooks were announce there were a lot more grumblings through the rumor mill about inventory shortages and the like. Haven't seen anything.

    Highly doubtful that we will see anything next week... I guess it would be possible if they are expecting the big Friday after Thanksgiving rush, I would really feel sorry for the store employees though.

    That would leave December. There was mention on some of the rumors sites about a bunch of exciting releases between now (then) and mid December. But none of them have had any follow ups.

    Which then leads to macworld... but if they are planning the utra portable laptop thingy, and possibly some other consumer hand held device mentioned in other rumors I don't think they would want to take away from the press about those devices.

    So my prediction is they will never release new Mac Pros... nope not bitter in the least... anyone know the Dell website :p

    Hoepfully they are just waiting on some graphics card shipments and they will get our little dream machines in the stores and into my fat grubby hands soon.... or I'm going to join the Amish
     
  13. macrumors 65816

    ziwi

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Right back where I started...
    #13
    If they announce today and do not release until late December, what is the difference of just announcing in January when they can ship immediately? There is no difference in my opinion. I want one, but ordering today and getting it in January or ordering it in January and getting it in January are the same thing...it is either early Jan. just prior to MW or at the event.
     
  14. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    Location:
    Indiana
    #14
    I'm thinking MWSF now, as much as I hate that. I've heard it's going to be 45 days before Intel ships most of their Penryns. Even if the rumor is true about Apple buying a big chunk of the 3.2 bin, I don't think they would release the new line until they have the full range of processors available.

    As for the cases, I doubt that, too. I'm betting they'll have a major redesign when Intel's next line, Nehalem, is ready in late '08 or early '09. Nehalem is a huge change in processor architecture, so it seems more likely to warrant a redesign from Apple.
     
  15. macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #15
    Welp, looks like I am buying a current model... Thanks Apple. Thanks for killing my dreams. :mad:
     
  16. Moderator

    OllyW

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2005
    Location:
    The Black Country, England
    #16
    Why don't you get a refurb and sell it when the new ones start shipping?
     
  17. macrumors regular

    chameleon

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Albany, NY
    #17
    I don't buy that.

    These are business machines. They'll be released when they're ready. I'm not sure that Apple needs to wait for a major press event, or be worried about Christmas sales.

    My guess is that when they have enough chips in house, they'll start shipping -- regardless of when.
     
  18. macrumors 65816

    Squonk

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
  19. macrumors regular

    Madhawk

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2007
    #19
    What if it's Friday? Then what? Hold on, you can do it!!!;)

    The current Mac Pros are rip offs, don't be fooled.
     
  20. macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #20
    Don't trust refurbs anymore, that and when I get a computer, I need to have it til it breaks. I install a lot of time consuming programs lol. You know how it is, customizing and all.
     
  21. macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #21
    I think Friday would be the last day I wait. I kinda want it before Thanksgiving, and I don't think that will happen now since it will take 3-5 days until they ship it since I will be adding things to it. Then by the end of next week it's almost December, then I should just wait until Penryn. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Don't know what to do anymore.
     
  22. macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #22
    Killing your dreams? Geez. If it's [100% sure!!] going to be some time in the next two months, just hold on a bit longer!
     
  23. macrumors 68020

    Wild-Bill

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    ?
    #23
    Time to submit some very strongly-worded Mac Pro feedback. I'm going to ask them how their 18 month sabbatical is treating them.
     
  24. macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #24
    I mean, I do have a history of buying things and that same day something better comes out. I could sacrifice buying a current MacPro so that everyone else can get Penryn. lol .... I might just hang on. It just sucks.
     
  25. macrumors 65816

    ziwi

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Right back where I started...
    #25

    For all the waiting - you could have churned out some projects on the old machine...13 months since the last pro even your old G4 could churn out some work - why throw in the towel a few miles from the finish?
     

Share This Page