Mac Pro or 24" iMac? Need help with my decision.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ronni3, Dec 31, 2006.

1. ronni3 macrumors regular

These are the options I am considering.

mac pro
    • Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    • 2GB (4 x 512MB)
    • 160GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    • NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)
    • One 16x SuperDrive
    • Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
    • Mac OS X - U.S. English
    • Dell 20" 2007FPW Ultrasharp

Total: $3027.82 (Student ACD price)

or

24" iMac
    • Apple Wireless Keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
    • NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
    • Accessory kit
    • 250GB Serial ATA Drive
    • 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    • 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    • SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Total: $2,810 (Student ACD price)

Either one will be accompanied by a Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Speaker System. My main debate is which is the better in the long run. I do not plan on upgrading anytime soon after making this initial purchase, so whatever I end up with will be for a few years.

Just for your information, I will most likely be using either of these for all your regular, rudimentary daily tasks, plus some light photoshoping and, eventually, for programming as I am headed back to school to complete my education with a major in CIS with a concentration in Databases. I will also like to learn, again eventually, some web & graphic designing.

So, which machine would be best for the tasks?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd guess I'd be slightly inclined to recommend the Mac Pro, if only because it supports a lot more RAM and is upgradeable. If I could be sure you wouldn't need more than 2GB, I'd recommend the 24" iMac, as it's a lot smaller, more aesthetic, quieter, and somewhat cheaper with a much bigger screen.

Regardless, wait until the keynote on the 9th to see if things change.

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

IMO, the MacPro is massive overkill for what you want to do. I don't see a need for you to have a quad CPU Mac. Thats like buying a Ferrari to drive across the street to work everyday.

The 24" iMac will more than powerful for your needs. Its also cheaper as well.

4. macgeek77 macrumors regular

I would definatly go with the iMac. Lets put it this way, you are spending money on power you will most likely never even tap. Take that extra money and put it towards upgrading the iMac even further.

5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I'm kinda in the same position as you (or at least will be come summer). I'm personally swayed towards the 24" iMac (despite the fact that I already have a 24" monitor) because I am very short on space given that in this city I can only afford to rent small rooms (and, indeed, would rather rent small rooms and have more money to spend). And also I get all nerdy and gooey eyed about pieces of hardware that I find adorable, and the iMac 24" is certainly that to me.

However, I am waiting until the next (or next plus one) update of the iMac as given that Leopard is supposedly requiring 2GB to run at its best (all rumour), I would rather I was able to put 4GB RAM in my iMac, as well as a slightly better graphics card to make it more future proof. And space for two hard drives would be nice, but maybe I'm just asking for too much there :eek:

6. ModestPenguin macrumors 6502

ModestPenguin

get the imac, minus the processor upgrade, it is unneccessary and expensive IMHO.

7. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I don't know where you got that rumor from but its full of crap! No way in hell is Leopard going to require 2GB of RAM to run. It will have the same basic requirements as Tiger which is no where near 2GB. There's nothing special in Leopard to require that much RAM.

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Go for the iMac, it will be much more enjoyable for what you do because of it's form factor (you won't need the larger mac pro for what you do)

9. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

I have owned a 24' iMac for about 3 weeks now. All I can say is wow. Every day I wake up to this massive beast I am just awestruck at its beauty, size and brightness. I am sooooo glad I bought it, and all my friends drool with envy. It is by far one of the nicest things I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

Now to just get it paid for :D