Mac Pro or Intel iMac for Video Editing?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by vutopia, Oct 19, 2006.

1. vutopia macrumors newbie

Trying to decide on mac pro or Intel iMac for video editing (mostly with iLife for now) and photo editing on photoshop. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

iLife apps will run fine on an Intel iMac, just beef up the RAM a bit, say 1.5GB.

Photoshop will run fine once it is a Universal Binary, currently you would have to run it under Rosetta which will mean it is slower... Not to sure how usable or unusable it is

3. MT37 macrumors regular

MT37

I'm currently editing on a 2.0 Ghz Intel 20" iMac, and it's flawless so far. I'm going to buy a external harddrive soon for it.

I didn't have the funds for a Mac Pro at the time. So I went with the iMac.

I have had zero problems with it.

Great machine.

4. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Unless you have specific requirements that you know you can't meet with an iMac, you can safely assume that the current line of iMacs will do the job just fine. A lot of people do video editing on the iMac without a problem. The Mac Pro will be a little faster and give you more options for peripheral devices, but you need to decide what that's worth the extra money for you.

- Martin

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

as we speak i'm working on a motion project and its running great on my imac. If you plan on expanding your system in the near future get a Macpro

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

i would say if it's for home videos yourself, then imac. if you plan to make money, the expandibility of the macpro is the way to go. you'll pay it off in no time.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

If you can afford the Mac Pro then you'll be bowled over by it's brilliance. If you have an eye for the aesthetically pleasing as I do then you'll also want to fork out for an Apple ACD of some sort :D

8. vutopia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all so far for the helpful comments. This brings up something else I've been considering. If I go the Mac Pro route, I've been comparing the Apple ACD vs. Dell 2407. From a spec standpoint, it looks like the Dell's got a slight edge over the ACD with better contrast ratio (1000:1) and refresh rate (if I remember correctly). Is there something else I should take into account to better evaluate the two? What are everyone's thoughts and preferences?

Thanks again for helping out a newbie to the forums. What a great resource!

9. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Rickay726

if your just editing with iLife then go with the iMac, definitly order more ram wiht it tho.

how ever if your looking farther down the road where your going to be more serius into editing i would go with the mac pro, mainly because you dont really have to worrt about running out of room for ram, and you are able to update the graphics card.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Definitely Mac Pro if you can afford it. Go with 2 or 4GB RAM.

11. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I'd go with the Mac Pro if you can afford it. `

I had an iMac and hated the fact that I couldn't add internal hard drives and such.

One problem I found with my iMac G5 was the firewire bus would get really busy when playing back video and get really stuttery. I'd have a external drive plugged in and a camcorder plugged in. Probably isn't a problem anymore I'm sure.

12. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

I suggest reading this thread for a good primer on what to look for in an LCD display.