Mac Pro price comparison.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Anonymous Freak, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Alright. it's been a given in the PC industry that you could 'build it yourself' cheaper than buying from a major OEM.

So I priced out the parts (or a similar alternative,) of a mac pro from PriceWatch.

For a system using Intel's S5000XVN 'workstation' motherboard, two 2.66 GHz Xeons, two 512 MB 667 MHz FB-DIMMs, a GeForce 7300 GT, the cheapest 250 GB hard drive, cheapest DL SuperDrive, cheapest 400 watt case/power supply combo, cheapest FireWire 800 card, and el cheapo mouse and keyboard; it came to $2540, or $41 more expensive than Apple. And that's without an OS. (I was assuming using a Linux.)

I also compared to Dell and HP systems of similar specs, and the Dell was slightly more expensive, while the HP was significantly more expensive. (I also compared dual 3 GHz with a Quadro 4500, and the price difference with the HP grew even more. That Quadro is the only card offered by all three companies, so I figured that was the only truly 'fair' comparison.) Sorry, had a browser crash that lost the exact numbers on this comparison.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Not to mention AppleCare and teh sexy case! :D

I think if I was in the position of buying a new computer, the Apple Mac Pro would be a high priority.

3. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

it's a great rig, now if bootcamp didn't suck so much

4. Fadl macrumors member

Why bootcamp? Why just not try to install Windows on a different HDD with windows drivers?

5. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

windows doesn't support efi, a more advanced form of bios, that frankly is over rated (that's just my opinion)

bootcamp isn't your comventional boot loader like grub or lilo, it's a stupid worthless app that lets you install windows xp sp2 only

apple is trying to make the boot loader simple, but they're forgetting that if you're using a boot loader you're probably a power user so you can handle making your own driver CD and you might want to install something OTHER THAN WINDOWS lol

but hey what do i know, leopard isn't out yet, things might change, i only described it how i would like it.

6. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Because that doesn't work. The only way to get Windows to boot on an Intel Mac (unless they changed it with the Mac Pro,) is to use Boot Camp. And Boot Camp uses Windows drivers. It just uses Apple-provided ones. (Although OEM drivers work fine. So, for example, using Intel video drivers on a Mac mini, rather than the provided Apple drivers, works fine.)

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Where do I have to go on Dell's site to find workstations with Woodcrest chips? I can only find the Dell Precision Workstation 490/690 with old Xeons.
    I'd say it's a greater rig with OS X than Windows, anyway. :p

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Boy, what a rant. Would you like some cheese to go with that whine.

EFI over-rated? Yeah right. BIOS is 20 years old, time for something newer and better. For Windows not to support EFI is Microsoft saying to users, here use BIOS, it's good enough. I'm sorry, I don't want "good enough," I want the latest and greatest.

if you want to use something other than Windows then why not dual-boot Linux? It's possible and done quite regularly on Macs.

As for only being able to use Windows XP SP2 on BootCamp, why are you whinging? It's the newest, most secure and most supported version of Windows. Apple could've just said "nope, stuff ya" and not released it at all, leaving us with no option of running Windows. Instead they released a program that makes it easy for everyone with an Intel Mac to run the latest version of Windows in a native environment - you got a problem with that?

9. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

please inform me of the differences of the i/o systems between bios and efi. the outlining structural differences, the addressing differences, and i can go on and on.

you want the latest and greatest when you don't even know what it is.

but hey, what i know about hardware level programming is jack compared to the man who wrote the linux kernal, Linus.

Let's see what he says here: http://kerneltrap.org/node/6884

and my lol moment

edit: want me to PM you my address, i would love some cheese

10. Fadl macrumors member

You dont' need Bootcamp. Bootcamp ist just a partition maker and a driver compilation.
    It is important to upgrade the firmware so you can boot windows.
    So when the MacPro has a firmware that supports Bios you can just put in a windows sp2 cd and install windows.

11. jubjub macrumors member

Dell v. Apple in 'ol Europe

To get back to the topic of the thread.

I made a similar thing here in Sweden. Configured a Dell and a MacPro as closely as possible.

Like so:

Dell Precision WorkStation 690:
    Intel® Xeon® 5150 (2.66GHz)
    512MB nVidia Quadro FX4500
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    1 250GB SATA
    16x max DVD+/-RW

SEK 33 290 (excluding sales tax)
    SEK 41 613 (with our lovely 25% sales tax)

The MacPro:
    Intel® Xeon® 5150 (2.66GHz)
    512MB nVidia Quadro FX4500
    1GB 667 DDR2
    1 250GB SATA
    16x SuperDrive DL
    AppleCare Protection Plan

The Price:
    SEK 34.552 (no tax)
    SEK 43.190 (yes tax)

There you have it.. all Macs are obviously overpriced and only suckers buy them. </irony>

/The sucker

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think you have misconfigured the Dell. Assuming prices where you are are similar to the UK you have configured a single 2.66Ghz CPU. You need 2. To get 2 CPUs I have to configure with a 19" flat panel and 2Gb of RAM for £3000. The base Mac Pro only costs £1700.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

See you failed in you mission...

If you would have compared it to the new Ronco PC Pocket Fisherman Plus™ for $49.95 -- not only would the Mac Pro be too overpriced, you couldn't even use it as bait to catch fish on your PC Pocket Fisherman Plus.

14. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

OK, I figured out why I couldn't find the similar Dell models. I had to go to the "Big business" section. Dell's web site sucks.

In Norway:

Dell Precision 690 - kr 52 350 incl. tax ($8492)
    2 x 2.66GHz Xeon "Woodcrest"
    1GB RAM (2x512MB)
    Quadro FX4500
    DVD +/- RW
    250GB HD
    3 year next day on-site

Mac Pro - kr 38 080 incl. tax ($6177)
    2 x 2.66GHz Xeon "Woodcrest"
    1GB RAM (2x512MB)
    Quadro FX4500
    DVD +/- RW
    250GB HD
    3 year next day on-site

That's right, it's a $2300 difference.

15. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

Why are you guys even comparing Macs to Dells?

16. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

At 400W that system would have a tough time running. If it would run at all.

17. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Not to mention the Dells come with crap for software.

Have you ever tried using Windows Movie Maker? :rolleyes:

18. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Because they're the only other computer maker that makes comparable computers, with comparable service and also has online store that actually tells you the price of the different configurations.

19. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Wow - $6177 in Norway?

In the US store that comes to $4698 (before tax ... I would pay 8.25% more here in California, so $5085 in total)

OK, HP xw8400 workstation, same config (I needed to add DVD burner, mouse, keyboard and gigabit ethernet): $5620 i.e. $922 more before tax
    Alienware 8550i workstation: $6921 i.e. $2223 more before tax