Mac Pro questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Demon Hunter, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering a mac pro, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Can Bluetooth and/or Airport Extreme be added later? I'd like to buy the stock configuration, but I don't want to purchase a dongle if I can have it internally installed.

2) Is it safe to buy? I know the 8-core models should be out soon, but I need one now, and I don't really need that much power in the first place.

3) What upgrades can we expect from new Mac Pros? New standard graphics? 2GB RAM standard?

4) If I go with the 7300 GT, will upgrade kits be available for graphics later on?

Thanks for your help. :)

2. Silentwave macrumors 68000

I believe they can install for you at the Apple Store.
    Well, I'd say its pretty safe. No major hardware issues, if you dont need 8 cores (which would likely start at the price of the 3GHz quad xeon due to higher chip prices at tme moment) then there's no reason not to buy.

I'd say that a better set of video cards will be the most likely upgrades, possible for the 2GB RAM standard, but not as likely. RAM is expensive when you're talking FB-DIMM.

You can already purchase the X1900XT upgrade from apple.com separately.

3. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

They can be installed later, but you'd have to go to an Apple store (unless you like doing it yourself). If you think you may need Bluetooth/Airport in the future, just pay the few dollars more and get it when you order the Mac Pro. Doing it later is a whole lot more expensive!!!

4. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the tips. I can't think of any reason for Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth is just an extra cost, so I think I'm ready...