Mac Pro RAM (persuading a PC user to go mac)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Killyp, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Hi there!

I've got a friend who is a big time PC gamer. He's really interested in the MacPro (with the top nvidia graphics card, and 2 x 20" ACDs), and is going to ask for one for xmas (wow!).

However he thinks the RAM on the apple website is very expensive (as do I), so I was wondering if someone could supply me a website address where to get RAM that would definitely work in the mac pro, and perform well, at less than the Apple website.

Many many thanks!
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Gonna be tough to beat the Apple website at the moment. We aren't dealing with regular RAM here, this is Fully Buffered RAM. Each stick of RAM has it's own little processor in it to ensure that there is no random bit flipping that could destroy a task. As such it puts out a lot of heat and needs some big heat sinks to stay cool. All this costs a fair bit of coin.

Not to mention, FB-RAM sticks are thin on the ground, it's gonna take some time for the RAM retailers to test their stuff in a Mac Pro and see what does and doesn't work in terms of heatsink design.
  3. RichP macrumors 68000

Jun 30, 2003
    Motor City
    There are a few, being the easiest to order from (the RAM for the MacPro must have the proper heatsinks on it.

Tell your friend not to get the Nvidia card, but rather the ATi one. The Nvidia one is geared to Workstation 3D graphics, and isnt going to perform as well as a card that is made for gaming. (yes, it does make a difference, the demands of a 3D program are different than a game) If the NVidia one does outperform the ATI card in game framerates, it is going to be very small compared to the huge difference in price (better getting more RAM and the 3.0Ghz chips with the money saved)

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Yes, get the ATI card for $250 instead of the Nvidia card for $1650.

Heck, buy a gaming PC and a game box with the money for the Nvidia Quadro card and use the Mac Pro w/ATI for work.

If he was running some key pro apps, he might want the Quadro -- but that purchase is something you would write off on your taxes ...

The Mac Pro has a RAM limit of 32GB, and that is a big future leap in performance when 4GB FB-DIMMs drop in the future. For pro apps that take advantage of the 64-bit workspace in future version.
  5. JMG macrumors 6502a

May 4, 2006
    Why would he (or should I say his parents :rolleyes: ) buy a mac if he is an avid gamer? That's like buying a minivan because you want to drag race.
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Watch out those minivans can sneak up on you.

Drag racing minivan
  7. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
  8. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Sounds a bit overkill for me. Imac MB or MBP?
  9. Killyp thread starter macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    No this guy plays serious games (at the moment he plays Half Life on a 20" screen full res full settings, and that's what he's upgrading from!! :eek: )...

Now he could afford 2 x 20" displays, would the X1900 be able to drive really really good graphics into both displays at high resolution without going slow?