Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
Hey. I was wondering if anyone could answer me this quick question.

Do I need to get ram with heatsinks on it if i buy the ram from a thrid party dealer?

And does this save any significant amount of money.

Is it dangerous? Might the ram over heat and die. Or does it make the com louder becuase the fans needs to come on more often?

If I can do without the heatsinks why does apples ram include them. Surely they know more about the system and think ti wise to include them. Doesnt this say something about needing or not needing the heat sinks.

Why are 1gig stick so much more then two 512mb?

Is 2gig of ram enough to run the computer smoothly without the ram being a bottle neck. I will be using photoshop heavly and final cut a lot.

Thanks for you help. Andy.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
andyjamesnelson said:
Hey. I was wondering if anyone could answer me this quick question.

Do I need to get ram with heatsinks on it if i buy the ram from a thrid party dealer?

And does this save any significant amount of money.

Is it dangerous? Might the ram over heat and die. Or does it make the com louder becuase the fans needs to come on more often?

If I can do without the heatsinks why does apples ram include them. Surely they know more about the system and think ti wise to include them. Doesnt this say something about needing or not needing the heat sinks.

Why are 1gig stick so much more then two 512mb?

Is 2gig of ram enough to run the computer smoothly without the ram being a bottle neck. I will be using photoshop heavly and final cut a lot.

Thanks for you help. Andy.

As far as the heat sinks go I would strongly recommend that you make sure you have them. Try to remember these are not regular PC's they are built more like servers then regular pc's therefore running the memory as cool as you can is important for the error correction circuitry to perform at top efficiency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.