Mac Pro Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FatGolfer, Oct 22, 2006.

1. FatGolfer macrumors member

Hello All

I have just ordered a mac pro and need to get some new speakers, or somehow connect my old analogue ones. Please could I have some advice.

My Mac Pro has not arrived yet but I understand it has a digital optical output or single jack output for speakers.

I currently have a creative 5.1 analogue speaker set which has the three coloured jacks which I am currently plugging in to an old creative 5.1 live card.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to somehow connect my old analogue 5.1 speakers to my new Mac Pro, if so do I need to buy something to do it?

2. If I cannot use my old speakers what would be a good quality replacement for arouns £100.

Thank you all.

2. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

No you cannot fully utilize your old creative speakers with out buying some kind of transformer, like the Griffin FireWave (do a google search). That unit costs $100, so if you want to just keep your Creative speakers, you can buy the Griffin FireWave, which I think you can get for around $60 on amazon actually, so that would probably be your best bet. For speakers, check out referbished Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/actory-refurbished-promedia-2-1.aspx from the Klipsch store @ www.klipsch.com, probably the best speakers in that price range, actually an absolute STEAL!
    Others, in that price range or less, will sound like crap, unless you get some nice 2.0 sets.
    Happy shopping :cool:

Peace

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Harman/Kardon Soundsticks II.

[​IMG]

Look beautiful, sound stunning.

I have a pair, and they are fantastic for everything. Video editing, DVDs, gaming, everything. Linkyness.

:D

4. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

The creatures are nice and they can be found for around $75 and they are available now in black, white, aluminum - I thought I saw red also maybe mistaken

5. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

My rec as well. Had these with my iMac, and they transitioned seamlessly to my Mac Pro..and they sound GREAT!

6. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

if you require something with a bit more in the mid bass region i would suggest looking at the fostex pm0.4 active studio monitors.they are around £110 delivered.

7. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the recommendation. I had not heard of the Klipsch brand here in the UK. Iwas not able to find a UK (r)etailor that stocked the recommended model. 200W of power in a cheap 2.1 system is amazing :)

8. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

I LOVE the look. On Amazon.co.uk the Harman Kardon ones are not available, but interestingly, the same product seems to be available under JBL branding, I guess this is the same thing. http://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-Soundst...4/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1/202-7575482-3695025?ie=UTF8

I would prefer a silver finish to match my Mac Pro (sad, I know but I spend so long in front of computers...), so I just need to track a silver version down.

9. SRSound macrumors 6502

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 are the best in terms of audio quality, hands down. However, if youre more concerned with looks, not so much...

10. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

If that is important to you, take a look at these speakers.. I really want these but unfortunatly can't afford it... i've herd great things about theses speakers and i think they would go perfect with a mac pro and apple acd! :eek:

http://alteclansing.com/product_details_intl_update.asp?pID=FX6021&lid=english

^^Manufactures Site ^^

[​IMG]

11. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link. The looks are not too important, just that one poster mentioned that the soundsticks II were available in silver but I was unable to find them.

My concerns with SoundSticks II are that you have to pull the speaker cable to switch them off and also that a number of reviews have stated they are not very loud. Are these valid points?

12. Apple2Mac macrumors regular

Apple2Mac

Not sure what the going price is but I love my Logitech® Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System

13. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

I would like to get a digital 5.1. system. The key question is does the Mac Pro's sound card support 5.1? If so I will go ahead and look at 5.1 systems.

14. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Not natively, see [thread]239852[/thread], [thread]241017[/thread] and [thread]240795[/thread]

15. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

If your concerned with sound quality, or listen to music more than you watch movies or game, then by all means avoid Logitech, they aren't the worst, but the bass is sloppy, boomy, the sats sound seperate from the system, and treble is harsh, man I could go on! They do have som nice systems how ever, the Logitech Z-2200, Z-560, and Z680 are very nice systems, apart from all others, and the one he mention is nice, just don't go with their cheaper models. So what I said above applies mainly to their cheaper models, but the the bass on the models I mentioned IS somewhat boomy, and loose. And the SQ isn't the best, doesn't compare to the Altecs. or the Klipsch.

If you can, I would go with the Altecs, probably the best speakers you can get beside the Ifi. Or check out the Acoustic Energy Aego M. http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2886. The sound quality is up there with the Altecs, which surpass the Klispch ProMedia series in pretty much every aspect.

Again, these are systems that are mainly built around build quality, and sound quality; if you don't need the best, or want speakers for a different purpose (movies etc.) then go with something else or something cheaper. I will tell you a good investment in speakers is something you'll never regret :cool:

Happy shopping!

Peace

16. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I've got these and would recomend then without hesitation.

17. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

those are nice, but unless this guy is in to audio trecording, studio monitors wouldn't really make sense.

18. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I have one very trivial complaint abut the klipsch 2.1 promedias - They are as ugly as the logitechs

19. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

Altec Lansing FX6021

Hi All

Thanks for all your top tips. I ended up with the Altec Lansing FX6021, partly for aesthetic reasons and partly because of good reviews.

The sub buzzes when plugged in but apart from that the sound quality is very good. (Bass a little weak but crystal clear midrange and highs).

I very nearly went with the Soundsticks II but when I saw them in person I realised how strange they look. They would have looked somewhat out of place on my desk. Creature II I didn't like at all and I couldn't find any Klipsch speakers anywhere so AL it was :D

20. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Aww man, sorry to hear that it buzzes 8-S. Hmm, try googling for this problem, I think there might have been a quick fix for it, like plugging it in to a grounded..er source or something :p Anyways, glad to hear you like them! Also, about the bass, it's not WEAK, it's just natural, with out distortion, so it blends, and when it needs to, it will shake your desk, atleast, it should :p. If you want, you can buy a Y splitter, and actually hook up a regular subwoofer to your system, that's what I did, mainly because I got a kick arse deal for an Infinity PS 8, and I don't have any other use for it ATM :D I mainly use it for movies though, but it's great for adding more low frequency to your music, any sub would.

Peace

21. Mr B macrumors member

Mr B

Tucom,
    Thanks for your help in both this thread and the other speaker thread in which you responded to my question. I think I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the Altecs. Between your recommendation and the other reviews I've read, they should be great for editing.music.gaming needs. Plus, the fact that they will look perfect with a macbook pro and a G-Raid doesn't hurt either =P

22. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps weak was a bit strong (huh? :) ) The point I think I am trying to make is the bass is less prominent in the delivered sound than I expected it to be, possibly as a result of my being used to boomy bass from my old 5.1 set.

23. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Exactly! The bass the Ifi system is what most people assume as weak, EHHH! WRONG! It's just extremely controlled and musical; REAL bass. The bass on the Ifi system can make me feel like I have another heart in my chest if ya know what I mean :cool: As I hear, same with the Altec system, if the Ifi system wasn't available, I probably would have gone with the Altecs, or an OrbAudio setup, which is much more expensive, but the Altecs are definately something to praise, they should never be looked at as JUST "computer speakers", they rival much more expensive systems, and fill a WHOLE HOUSE with sound if need be. Check out the third review down, the one with A1 astonoshing sound as the beginning of the title: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...re.woa/wo/5.RSLID?mco=D582B77D&nplm=T9551LL/A try placing the Altec subwoofer in different places to get the right sound. But hey, if it sound good to you, then leave it, and jam on! Also, think you can take some pics of your setup?

Given Altec's non-gimmick, real InConcert technology (it REALLY DOES work) it seperates the frequencies upon the drivers, driven by multiple amps, to devilver EXTREMELY accurate audio reproduction...hehe....I sound like a sails dude, but it's all true! I'm not affiliated with any of these brands in any way.

Peace