Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, we reported that Apple resellers were seeing dwindling numbers of MacBook Airs, and it appears that many outlets are also experiencing low supplies of Apple's Mac Pro.

According to MacTrast, the entry level quad-core 3.2GHz Mac Pro is backordered or out of stock at a number of online stores, including MacMall, B&H Photo, CDW, PowerMax, Adorama, and J&R Electronics.

macpro.jpg
Popular Apple reseller Amazon.com has just nine of the low end Mac Pros in stock, and other retailers like MicroCenter, Frys, and Best Buy also have limited supplies.

Dwindling product supplies at third-party Apple retailers is often an indication that a refresh is imminent and the Mac Pro may be a prime candidate for an update announcement at WWDC in June, as it has been more than 1,000 days since the product last saw a significant release.

The Mac Pro received a slight update at WWDC last year, which included a small processor bump. Many Apple customers were dissatisfied with the update, but an Apple spokesman later confirmed that a new Mac Pro would be introduced in 2013.

One issue for Apple is likely to be processor availability, as the company has traditionally used high-end Xeon chips from Intel in the Mac Pro. The next-generation Xeon chips, Ivy Bridge-E, are not expected until around September of this year, a date far enough off that it would be difficult for Apple to announce a new Ivy Bridge-E Mac Pro at WWDC but close enough that Apple would have a difficult time justifying use of the current Sandy Bridge-E chips that have already been on the market for quite some time.

Article Link: Mac Pro Supplies Tightening as WWDC Approaches

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
WWDC would be the logical place for Apple to release an update to their Pro machine.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I think that this is a rare case where Apple would be good with announcing an update to an existing product line that won't ship for a while.

I think that August is about the earliest a new Mac Pro could ship if they are going to use the Ivy Bridge E5 Xeon processors.

An announcement at WWDC and a ship date of August-September might be better than silence.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
My fingers are crossed for some pro like Mac at WWDC. I just want a box stick in my own graphics cards and upgrade it over time.

Also I don't want the cpu and monitor in the same box. Maybe I'm old skool but I like to have a separation of concerns.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Currently selling my iMac with plans to get a 2013 Mac Pro [much] later this year, very excited for WWDC :)

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Yeah, bring us a Thunderbolt Pro display while youre at it, those Shark 4k Igzo displays would be fine

Sharp, not sharp, hmm Macrumors form works horrible on ipads

doc james

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
United Kingdom
Riiiight...

Unless it has 4 Titans and 4 12-core Xeons @ 5Ghz, has Blu-Ray, HBO and makes coffee for 3,000 USD after taxes... I don't see how the complaining will stop...

:p

It's going to make coffee? What about all of us whose work flow is based around tea? Apple can't just expect....cont p193...;)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.