Mac Pro to MD G4 Network Help?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mister880, Aug 18, 2006.

1. mister880 macrumors member

Ok, Just got my new mac pro today to replace my old dual 1ghz mirror door g4. The problem is that I am not sure how to get the data off my old computer and moved to my new computer.

First I tried firewire disk mode but my old computer has four drives and only one of them seems to mount in target disk mode.

I am on a college dorm network and only have one ethernet connection but the new mac pro has two ethernet connections. In an earlier post I asked if it was possible to plug a ethernet calbe from my old computer to my new one into the extra ethernet port. Since both of the macs have built in 1000baseT networking it should be pretty fast if somehow I can figure out how to make the drives mount on my system.

Can anyone know a good website or a link on Apple.COM explaining how to do this? I know nothing of apple's networking for the 5 years I have been into macs I have always used just one and plugged it in and it worked.

Kevin

2. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

This is a little speculative, but...

1, Connection. Get a CAT 5 RJ45 Crossover cable (not a conventional cable) to connect the two machines together. I've got a PC hanging off the back of a Mac Mini and sharing internet connection using a crossover cable. Thought I read somwhere that the network ports are auto-switching, so a crossover cable may not be necessary. Failing that there is alwasy network connection over the Firewire port (I've had to minis networking this way no problem).

2. System Preferences->Sharing and enable Personal File Sharing. If you don't do this, then you will not see anything from the remote computer.

3. Open up Finder. Navigate to Users->Shared. Next, navigate to all the drives or folders you want to be able to access and make an Alias of each one. You can do this for entire drives on the desktop. Place the Alias created in the shared folder.

It should now be possible to connect too the old machine and pull the contents of the drives off. You may need to modify the access rights

This assumes you only want data and not all your user settings. Those chan be had via the Target Disk method and the Migration Assistant (Applications->Utilities), and then move the data on the other drives using the mehod detailed above.