Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
I can find iMac-class desktops for much less than the price of a MacPro, but as others have mentioned, these "70% cheaper" Dell equivalents appear to exist nowhere but in fertile imaginations.

Would certainly welcome a link demonstrating otherwise...

Yea, well, I can find iMac's for much less than the price of a MacPro as well. The cheap dells just use cheap Core processors. PASS.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
wrong. Ivy Bridge CPUs suitable for the Mac Pro is still well over a year away

At which time everyone will be spewing about 14nm chips.

I want a new MP... but as my primary concern is video, I'll have to choose the Ivy MBP or mini. If the superspeed video encoding gets incorporated with FCP (I'm sure it won't) every step of the production pipeline would be as close to realtime as you could want... A revolutionary leap that would make successive incremental improvements meek until everything becomes instant.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Let's see it Apple. So the Mac Pro doesn't make a lot of money for the company anymore… But what it does give Apple is much needed credibility with the professional community. Remember Apple, how we kept you alive through the dark years? We stayed by your deathbed, feeding you our hard-earned profits though a straw after Windows 95 did a hit and run on you.

We might be a small minority of your customers now, but we're still a passionate and vocal minority. I feel credibility within the pro market does filter down to consumers one way or another.

Multi-Mac

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
Cupertino Watching Me

Two days ago I turned on my Mac Pro and nothing happened but an endlessly flashing power light. No hard drive clicks, no nothing.

A new Mac Pro is perfect timing.

And there's a market that no one seems to mention. When I bought my first computer in 1998 (still running) I had a choice of 2, 4 or 6 gig hard drives. Because I anticipated only doing text the salesman tried to push me to the 2G, but I went for the 6 Gig Rev A Mini-Tower because "better more than you need, than less."

I use an iMac at the office, but would never seriously consider owning one at home. There are a lot of people who aren't involved in video, 3-D, high end audio creation and the like, who just want more, rather than less.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Oh please hurry. I rely on Macs with more than the 4 cores currently available on top end iMacs, and i'm not willing to buy a 2 year old machine at those prices! Plus i'm after Thunderbolt. I really hope Apple push the boat out with this update. But i have to admit to not expecting much.

I know Mac Pros aren't exactly Apples bread and butter anymore, but it says something about their company that they're putting no effort into it at all by the look of it. If companies like Sony can sell products for everybody ranging from consumers to broadcast professionals and maintain high quality products throughout those ranges. then surely Apple can too.

And therein lies the problem. Sony tries to build and sell products for everyone. They just had one of their worst years ever and are in a steady-state of decline as a company. Apple on the other hand ...

Custommm

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Let's see it Apple. So the Mac Pro doesn't make a lot of money for the company anymore… But what it does give Apple is much needed credibility with the professional community. Remember Apple, how we kept you alive through the dark years? We stayed by your deathbed, feeding you our hard-earned profits though a straw after Windows 95 did a hit and run on you.

We might be a small minority of your customers now, but we're still a passionate and vocal minority. I feel credibility within the pro market does filter down to consumers one way or another.

Everyone sharing your point of view should leave comment time to time (as i do myself) to http://Www.apple.com/feedback
Maybe those guys in MP division can use those comment when iPad oriented CEO wanna kill our beloved MP.
I have purchased 25+ computer mainly PCs but never use,touch,use a computer as awesome as MP,by far....

Last edited:

not1lost

macrumors member
Going to Mac but what?

I am looking to take the leap and go totally Apple/Mac as I have migrated from an iPod touch 64 to iPhone 32 to iPad2 64 and have loved everything about them. While continualy upgrading windows desktops to more and more disapointments. I currently have a Dell XPS 8300 Intel i7 2600 3.4GHz 12G Ram 2T 7200 HD Radeon 1G 5700 HD running win7 64. and have had nothing but trouble with it - even worse than other lesser machines... I think my best bet for a machine to do what I want (I sometimes really push it - not always) would be a Mac Pro... although some other advice I have gotten was that an iMac would be better for me. I like the iMac but the only thing that worries me is I want to keep this machine a long time and it seems the iMac would be hard to upgrade whereas the Mac Pro looks like it would be rather simple. I have seen some pictures of the inside and it looks like a very functional work of art! Then there are the rumors that the Mac Pro and iMac are due to be upgraded very soon... but I can't wait a long time I need a machine I can work with yesterday... if you know what I mean.. Any help would be greatly apprecieated and if I am on the wrong forum for this advise please let me know... Thanks

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Good news. I can't wait to see what comes out with the next Pro. Apple will probably put it on the chopping block soon, though, and this could be the last Pro. I'd be happy with a trimmed down Mini-Pro type design which provides a top-shelf processor beyond iMacs, with a tiny casing for memory, several ports, and a single 3.5" drive for the system.

I currently own a 2006 Mac Pro that is obviously starting to get a bit old. I have thought I might be able to get a year or two more out of it, but that's a stretch.

I have one and it isn't getting that old. When I got it I knew it was a 6-year machine and I am sure it will go a full 7 before I have to upgrade. The slowest mini has higher benchmarks, but this one is still smooth. When it goes, it will be a wonderful FW800 target mode 4-drive container for the new computer I get.

The main reason to pay the premium for a Mac Pro is upgradability, expandability...

The 2006 MacPro was not nearly as upgradeable as the following models. That could be the unfortunate case with ANY MacPro. You just have no guarantees. Sad. True. They never made newer/faster processors.

What happens if Apple decides that they no longer want to make Mac Pros and all of a sudden I won't be able to upgrade the graphics card to extend the life of my machine?

Mac doesn't make the graphics cards. They will probably be made by others, as always, for years. That should be the least of your worries.

StefSSU

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2009
London
Basically because:

1)The Mac Pro is ridiculously expensive (especially in comparison to Wintel workstations/high end boxes)

2)iMacs are really pretty powerful for much cheaper...sure, they're not the exact same performance as a $3000 MacPro but unless you really really really really need that 10-20% performance gain of a MacPro (compared to a high end iMac), it's not worth it...might as well buy 2 iMacs...or, golly, just wait the extra 2 minutes while rendering something.

Both of these are very similar to arguments made against any apple products, and yet you're on macrumors so I'm guessing you enjoy some of their products.

1. - Go to HP or Dell and configure a workstation similar to the Mac Pro specs. Hint, an i7 is not comparable to a Xeon. Don't believe me? Try putting two i7's together. Beyond that, there's many differences between the two that allow Intel to charge a huge premium on Xeons. Whether or not you think that premium is worth it is irrelevant - all MP's use dual socketable Xeon's, which are expensive. Once you've done that you should find that the Mac Pro is pretty comparable price wise to its competitors. And that's taking out the consideration for OS X, other hardware such as the chassis design (widely lauded as excellent), ECC memory, the high quality PSU and fans/heatsinks, service (particularly valuable) etc.
Where Mac Pro's are admittedly expensive is particularly in GPU, CPU upgrades and memory options, GPU is a whole other bag that isn't completely Apple's fault, it looks like Microsoft will be adopting EFI in the future as opposed to BIOS so this may make it easier to use any old GPU in the future, we'll see. You'd be an idiot to buy memory from Apple, so I won't go there. As for CPU upgrades, you pay about the right price for the processor, but when you consider that you're losing one or two it is an expensive tradeoff. Of course, for many of these upgrades you could do them yourself, but it can be easy to wreck a very expensive CPU and socket this way. Once you take everything into account, stock, brand new Mac Pro's aren't expensive at all. They can seem more expensive later in life as Apple doesn't really drop the price accordingly, and the options can be ridiculous , yes. But just go try build yourself a comparable workstation and see if you can do it significantly cheaper, if at all.

As for 2. - Yes, for a lot of tasks a top range iMac can easily be just as fast if not faster than many Mac Pro configs. However where the Mac Pro's shine (CPU wise) is in software that is well threaded. All expect the top of the line upgraded iMac with the i7 at $2,199 lack hyperthreading, meaning they have only four cores. Compare this to an 8 core Mac Pro at $3,500 with 16 virtual cores and you're looking at massive differences with the right software. Don't even think about comparing the 12 core (24 virtual cores) model.

Besides that, they're different machines entirely. With the iMac with the exception of adding RAM you're pretty limited with upgrades unless you want to pry that lovely glass off delicately. And even then you're still laughably short of what you're able to do in a MP. In a MP you can upgrade or switch out most every piece of hardware. CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD (for which you have 4 slots out the box), etc. If a component fails rather than replacing the entire computer you can simply replace it. Additionally, mobile GPU's (which the iMac uses) are significantly less powerful than their desktop counterparts. Yes, that 5870 is better than the 6970m. Beyond even this, why should you throw away a perfectly good screen with every new computer purchase? Why should a desktop be slim at the expense of upgradability, heat diffusion, and as a result noise?

For some people, there's stuff you simply can't do on an iMac that the Mac Pro makes possible. Need more than one drive? How about up to 96Gb of RAM? Lots of cores? Dual sockets? ECC mem? Low noise? PCI-E? Multiple GPU's? The ability to use a different screen?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Theres no excuse for completely ignoring the Mac Pro for the last 4 years. Apple's worth is now at half a trillion dollars. Theyve got over 80 billion dollars in cash.

So what if their iToys/iOS/iPhone are bringing in cash? How does that stop Apple from still putting any kind of attention to the Mac Pro?

Last time I checked, Apple released a new Mac Pro in 2010. They contained the last new Xeon CPUs to hit the market.

bryanescuela

Suspended
Jun 27, 2008
I don't understand why everyone thinks Apple is going to discontinue the Mac Pro.

On this website I go on from time to time... it says "Don't Buy - Updates soon". I'm pretty sure that means they're going to update them soon.

And you are a "macrumors Demi-God"? :rolleyes:

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I have one and it isn't getting that old. When I got it I knew it was a 6-year machine and I am sure it will go a full 7 before I have to upgrade. The slowest mini has higher benchmarks, but this one is still smooth. When it goes, it will be a wonderful FW800 target mode 4-drive container for the new computer I get.

I've found a three-year upgrade cycle to be good for the Mac Pro. You get back at least a third of your money when you sell it, so the sticker shock of a new one isn't as bad and you can upgrade more often.

Mac doesn't make the graphics cards. They will probably be made by others, as always, for years. That should be the least of your worries.

I wouldn't count on that as long as the Mac Pro only takes Apple-specific variants of Nvidia and ATI cards. I don't think the card manufacturers would see much benefit of writing custom drivers if Mac Pros were discontinued. And graphics card manufacturers churn through product cycles so quickly, they won't have a big backstock of Mac cards. But lets not dwell on such sad thoughts; I have a feeling we'll see at least one more Pro model.

----------

Last time I checked, Apple released a new Mac Pro in 2010. They contained the last new Xeon CPUs to hit the market.

True, but Apple also dropped Motorola like a rock because it couldn't rev up upgrades to the PowerPC chip fast enough. Funny how times change...

Custommm

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
I am looking to take the leap and go totally Apple/Mac as I have migrated from an iPod touch 64 to iPhone 32 to iPad2 64 and have loved everything about them. While continualy upgrading windows desktops to more and more disapointments. I currently have a Dell XPS 8300 Intel i7 2600 3.4GHz 12G Ram 2T 7200 HD Radeon 1G 5700 HD running win7 64. and have had nothing but trouble with it - even worse than other lesser machines... I think my best bet for a machine to do what I want (I sometimes really push it - not always) would be a Mac Pro... although some other advice I have gotten was that an iMac would be better for me. I like the iMac but the only thing that worries me is I want to keep this machine a long time and it seems the iMac would be hard to upgrade whereas the Mac Pro looks like it would be rather simple. I have seen some pictures of the inside and it looks like a very functional work of art! Then there are the rumors that the Mac Pro and iMac are due to be upgraded very soon... but I can't wait a long time I need a machine I can work with yesterday... if you know what I mean.. Any help would be greatly apprecieated and if I am on the wrong forum for this advise please let me know... Thanks

Been exactly where you are now 2 years ago... Tired of having issues with my main Windows machine and having no other choice maintaining/using 13 PC at my office... I decide to make the leap... First MBP, just to see and learn the OS... Pain for 2-3 month then after... magic happened.. Bought the bigger iMac i7 and after a while id cannot breath anymore .... Firewire was way to slow and USB is not even considered. OWC can "fit a SATA connector" on the iMac but after a serious reflection...i have sold the iMac.

Then brought the Mac Pro 6 cores 3.33 and franckly it's just awesome...all of it.
Buying a MP is crying just once...at the time of paying ;)
After that it's pure Apple...just opening the case and you already understand what is going on here...
Go Pro and enjoy :D

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
For some people, there's stuff you simply can't do on an iMac that the Mac Pro makes possible. Need more than one drive? How about up to 96Gb of RAM? Lots of cores? Dual sockets? ECC mem? Low noise? PCI-E? Multiple GPU's? The ability to use a different screen?

Before I read that post I was quite happy designing DTP Church Newsletters with 1980's clipart ... with my ten year old eMac and dot matrix printer .. now? Now I've ordered TWO Mac Pro's with a reserve down for a third ... in case the other two break down .. and I don't even know what what they are or what I'll do with them yet!

Possibly one each side of the room .. do they work better in stereo?. And will a lot of RAM possibly damage the cavity wall insulation?. Who cares!. The mere thought of low-noise, dual socket, multiple GPU-infested cores is enough to make anyone salivate - according to my shrink at least ... isn't that right, Doctor .. is it time for my medication yet?.

I'm SO Mac Pro .. I don't even know it yet! ;)

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
And Apple's done nothing with the Mac Pro since.

First off, the post said that Apple has "completely neglected" the Mac Pro for the past 4 years. Yet there was a new model less than 2 years ago.

Second, there were no new CPUs to upgrade to.

not1lost

macrumors member
Been exactly where you are now 2 years ago... Tired of having issues with my main Windows machine and having no other choice maintaining/using 13 PC at my office... I decide to make the leap... First MBP, just to see and learn the OS... Pain for 2-3 month then after... magic happened.. Bought the bigger iMac i7 and after a while id cannot breath anymore .... Firewire was way to slow and USB is not even considered. OWC can "fit a SATA connector" on the iMac but after a serious reflection...i have sold the iMac.

Then brought the Mac Pro 6 cores 3.33 and franckly it's just awesome...all of it.
Buying a MP is crying just once...at the time of paying ;)
After that it's pure Apple...just opening the case and you already understand what is going on here...
Go Pro and enjoy :D

Thanks a bunch! I need all the help I can get. I dont want to throw down that kind of cash without knowing what I am doing... I've already spent enough $$$ on that windows crap....:mad:

Custommm

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Before I read that post I was quite happy designing DTP Church Newsletters with 1980's clipart ... with my ten year old eMac and dot matrix printer .. now? Now I've ordered TWO Mac Pro's with a reserve down for a third ... in case the other two break down .. and I don't even know what what they are or what I'll do with them yet!

Possibly one each side of the room .. do they work better in stereo?. And will a lot of RAM possibly damage the cavity wall insulation?. Who cares!. The mere thought of low-noise, dual socket, multiple GPU-infested cores is enough to make anyone salivate - according to my shrink at least ... isn't that right, Doctor .. is it time for my medication yet?.

I'm SO Mac Pro .. I don't even know it yet! ;)

Let Apple knows what you think ...it's our only way to make sure WE care... :)
http://Www.apple.com/feedback

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.