Mac Pro, Vista, Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by slicedbread, Feb 6, 2007.

1. slicedbread macrumors regular

Nov 5, 2006
    I am about to get a mac pro, and run it as my main machine. I have a couple of questions regarding parallels and vista:

1) I'll be waiting for bootcamp drivers for vista before I install vista via bootcamp. Should I wait to install vista on BC and use this drive as an image for parallels to use, rather than activating vista in the virtual machine only? Would I even be able to activate my business edition vista again on BC, if I activated it first time round in a parallels VM?

2) How is parallels with multiple drives? I'd like to keep my main disc for OSX and use a second drive for BC and also load this drive as my parallels image. Do parallels and BC support that?

3) I wanna use multiple monitors, can I set it up so that when parallels is running I have it full screen on one monitor, without borders etc? OSX would be in the other screen.

2. miker51 macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2006
    Hard at work
    1) Currently Parallels doesn't support using the Bootcamp partition for Vista, only XP. The only version of Vista that allows you to use it in a virtual environment as well as a bootcamp-type environment is Vista Ultimate. The other versions of Vista allow you one or the other, but not both.

2) Parallels works fine with multiple drives. I keep my VMs on a separate drive from my OS X boot drive, and everything works just fine.

3) I only have one monitor, so I can't answer your question from experience, but I believe others have successfully used 2 monitors as you describe.