Mac Pro, volume stuck on mute.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Runamuk, Jul 30, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I have a late 2006 Mac Pro 3Ghz dual. Recently the volume dropped down to nothing and when I access the control panel, I see the mute button checked on all outputs except the digital (the one I have never used). All inputs are also muted and I cannot uncheck any of them. The little volume indicator is sitting in the lower middle of my screen and won't go away.

I have tried:
    Zapping PRAM
    repairing permissions
    trashing the sound pref
    using a different account
    multiple restarts and shut downs
    unplugged and re-plugged both the headphones and line out

....and none of it has worked. The sound indicator shows up with the startup screen and never goes away...and I have no sound. If I drag the volume slider up, it just goes back down. Very frustrating.

I am guessing this is a failing motherboard, being that I have lost my "A" RAM slot, but I really hope not. This is going to be unbearable to live with.

Does anyone here have any other ideas? I have thrown in the towel (which I rarely do).

Thanks!

hey, at least the comp cannot hear the profanities directed it's way.

2. macrumors regular

Don't know how to fix it, but it would be cheaper to add a PCI sound card than a new motherboard.

3. macrumors 68040

666sheep

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I could live with that, but does a PCI sound card preempt all the onboard sound stuff automatically? Would it put this problem in the background or is there a chance this deeper in the system than that?

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohhh, and nothing is resting on the keyboard buttons. I have even unplugged the keyboard and had no change in condition.

7. macrumors member

If you go to audio MIDI utility can you change the output to the analogue out?

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Changing the output is not the problem, I can do that in the sys prefs. The problem is that no matter what output I choose ... it is muted.

Honestly, I could live without having sound as it appears this Mac is dying a slow death. It's the sound indicator on the screen that drives me bonkers.

9. macrumors regular

SmilesLots

Run the combo updater for your OS. Often solves this kind of problem, which could be a bad sector on the HD.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so yesterday, just out of the blue while I was typing an email, the sound started working again. The screen indicator disappeared and I could raise the volume again....woot!

So, I followed your advice and installed the combo updater, the sound stayed working. Thought I had it nailed.

Then, this morning, I woke it from sleep and 30 seconds later, the sound dropped out and the issue returned. So, back to square one, no clue what caused it to self-fix and no clue why it relapsed.

grrrrrrrrr

11. macrumors 6502a

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was afraid of. Are you thinking motherboard or drive? and is there any way to test?

13. macrumors 6502a

motherboard, install windows on it with bootcamp and checl sound there (when it doesnt work in osx)