Mac Pro vs G5 Quad benchmark

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by quadgirl, Aug 10, 2006.

1. quadgirl macrumors regular

I'm not sure if it's been noted, but barefeats have just done a benchmark for the mac pro (standard config) vs a G5 Quad. The results are amazing (if a little shocking for a Quad owner like me)

Check it out here http://www.barefeats.com/quad06.html

2. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

That test is hardly fair seeing as how the Mac Pro is running in rosetta. That said, if you need photoshop speed go Quad G5.

3. quadgirl thread starter macrumors regular

I know, but he iMovie and Final Cut tests are native on both. The speed difference is quite large.

4. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Yes but in favor of the Mac Pro.

5. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Actually those tests say quite a bit about the performance of the Xeons. 6-10 seconds slower because it's running under translation is amazing. Just imagine how fast it will run photoshop when it becomes native.

6. Mikael macrumors regular

Yep, the Woodcrest (and Core 2) products are obviously faster per clock than the G5. Anything else would have been pretty bad, since the G5 is old news now. What's nice is that the frequency ceiling seems quite high on the Woodcrest parts, which means that we won't have to wait all that long for higher clocked versions. :)

By the way, why is it that no one tests Photoshop performance on the Mac Pro running WinXP through Boot Camp? :confused: That way we'd see how the Mac Pro stacks up to the Quad G5 without having to wait for CS3. That said, considering the pretty impressive performance under Rosetta, it's pretty safe to say that the Mac Pro will outperform its older brother substantially.

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

That's cool - I was hoping to start seeing some of these "real world" benchmarks show up. I can't believe how well the Mac Pro performed even through rosetta - that says a lot for when CS3 comes out.

I agree with the XP suggestion, though. I'd be curious in those results.