Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
I don't know if I should go with a 24" imac or a mac pro with something like a 19" LCD I have about $3000 US to work with. But I am un sure of where to go. I think I want to go with the mac pro so I can upgrade the GPU later. I am mostly a consumer. I will use it for gaming, and multitasking(mostly running word, adium, itunes, azureus, mail, safari and maybe a couple other apps at the same time) I would go with the 2.66ghz mac pro with the base GPU and base everything else(except wireless) for the imac I would probably upgrade the RAM and GPU. What would you guys do?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
In my humble opinion, the 24'' iMac is to die for - for anyone who isn't swimming in money or already spoiled by a 30'' screen.

Crike .40

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2006
Oxnard Shores (Ventura), CA
My 24" custom order iMac, after being on my desk for a little over 2days had it's power supply blow out. To add insult to injury I head over to the apple store and they can't help me because they are "too busy". What a crock.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Don't spill you money on the Mac Pro if you're not going to use it. I for one did that myself, and I regret it. I'm selling my MP and getting an iMac because an iMac will suit me better for cheaper. If I need a MP later, I'll get the next bigger/better thing Apple throws out sometime down the road.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
briantology said:
Don't spill you money on the Mac Pro if you're not going to use it. I for one did that myself, and I regret it. I'm selling my MP and getting an iMac because an iMac will suit me better for cheaper.
Well cost will be close to the same as I would go all out on the imac except for the HD, and 2gb of ram not 3.

Its such a hard decision. I really want to go with the mac pro as then later I can put a nicer GPU in it for better gaming performance. Also I think I may get into film editing this year. And which machine would last me longer? As I don't plan on buying another for awhile.....I am only 15 after all.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The iMac 24 is enough machine for your current use, but the Mac Pro gives you far more expandabiltiy, thus making it far more future resistant.

The Mac Pro is also pin compatible with the upcoming Quad processors.
The Mac Pro allows for 16 GB RAM vs the iMac topped at 3GB.
The Mac Pro has 4 expansion bays, the iMac allows for one GPU upgrade.

If you are buying with the education discount, the MacPro with 2 GB RAM and the BT/AP option is going to run you $2640.00

Yes you will get more immediate gratification with the iMac, but long term
the MacPro is a much better machine.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
trainguy77 said:
Well cost will be close to the same as I would go all out on the imac except for the HD, and 2gb of ram not 3.

Its such a hard decision. I really want to go with the mac pro as then later I can put a nicer GPU in it for better gaming performance. Also I think I may get into film editing this year. And which machine would last me longer? As I don't plan on buying another for awhile.....I am only 15 after all.

The Mac Pro will last you longer- it is faster, more expandability, etc... :)

The Mac Pro is better for film editing, but how serious are you going to get with this endeavor. I suspect that the iMac would still be suffice for you. :)

But if you are planning on using this machine for 2.5-3+ years, then I guess that I would just choose the Mac Pro. :)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
FFTT said:
If you are buying with the education discount, the MacPro with 2 GB RAM and the BT/AP option is going to run you $2640.00
I don't qualify. High school students don't get student discounts stupid if you ask me as alot of my work on the machine will be student related......
Well I have been working on making some full length movies and some short films. So I think the mac pro will be the way to go.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
It's not fair to assume that just because this poster is still in high school, that his
interest in film creation and editing is not serious.

Only he and his parents or teacher can make that determination.

The MacPro has other advantages over the iMac when you consider long term or heavy use ownership. The AIO design does have it's drawbacks too.

If you lose an optical drive in the iMac, you've got a major repair issue, where
the MacPro allows you to swap another one in at no great expense or difficulty.

I think it's good that our poster is doing the research before he buys.

Obviously, this is a major purchase and he should consider all his options carefully.

The Mac Pro is a truly professional workstation.

Some students are far more advanced and far more dedicated to their chosen
interests.

If our poster is serious and has worked and saved to buy something great, then I see no problem with him going for the better machine.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Yeah I am sure as well not your average joe......I do alot of computer work. I work on servers as a part time job. I touch in programming.....and now I am thinking of buying final cut express. I have tried almost everything possible. I also want good folding results...but that will not change what I buy:p . But this thread has really made me think twice about which machine I want to go for, which is good. ;)

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
When I was your age all these wannabe musicians were out there buying
learning quality guitars and cheezmo amps.

At 16, I worked to save for a great Jazz Bass and an Ampeg SVT with DUAL 8-10
cabinets.

Mind you, this was insanely expensive back in those days, but I knew I could play and sound better with pro gear.
I also practiced 4 hours a day 7 days a week.

I earned back the money I spent performing in clubs a year later.

If you have that kind of ambition and the discipline to stay focused.
Go for it!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i say go for the mac pro. if you can afford it. it will last you longer and is just a better machine. take it from a guy who couldn't afford a mac pro and got an imac. :eek:

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
iMacs are excellent consumer appliances. I, however, don't think they're a good buy as desktop computers - a 2.16 Core 2 is currently fast enough for 99% of computer users, undoubtedly. But compared to a machine using a desktop processor (or multiple desktop processors), with multiple hard drive bays and eight RAM slots, the machine will wear out its useful life in a shorter period of time, and then you have nothing to do with that nice, shiny 24" monitor.

If you're thinking about a 24" iMac, my instinct would be to wait for the upgraded Macbook Pros - you're going to get a computer of equal specs (perhaps this delay is giving Apple time to stick the 7300/7600GT in them?) and greater expandability with the ExpressCard/34 slot. You pay the laptop premium (though maybe not - the 15" and 24" models of each may start out even), but it's generally worth it for portability. Say $1999 for a 2.16 Core 2-Macbook Pro, get $170 worth of RAM from NewEgg, pay the Apple upgrade of $100-120 for a 7200RPM drive - that leaves you just about enough to buy a 20" Apple monitor and fit under your $3000 budget - or push it a little to get the 23".

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
FFTT said:
It's not fair to assume that just because this poster is still in high school, that his
interest in film creation and editing is not serious.

Only he and his parents or teacher can make that determination.

I agree, I did not mean to say that the OP is not possibly interested in doing this sort of thing seriously. :eek: I was just questioning how serious he was in order to give better advice concerning which Mac to purchase. But if trainguy77 is serious about doing work with film creation and editing, then the Mac Pro would probably be the best computer for him to buy. :)

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
If you can drop the $ I'd go macpro myself. It could last your many many many many many more years.

I may hold out for one myself.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm currently in the same situation. I was all set to buy a mac pro and then apple released the imac 24"...

However the mac pro has faster processors, more hard drive expandability, better GFX card options, more ram capacity... Where as the imac might last me 12-24 months, the mac pro will last me 36-48 months - so its a better buy at the end of the day even though the imac is lovely....

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
What will you be doing in 2 years?

What grade are you in? If college is in the plans in the next year or so, I would seriously consider a laptop over a desktop.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
Dont get a Macbook Pro, they whine!
And are far from be portable! (85 degrees)
Get the mac pro, appe profesional line (desktop) is excellent, I have a MDD G4 running flawless, and it will last me for 1 or 2 more years from now.
I also have a G5 dual 2.3, this one wasnt that good, it had a lot of problemas being new, but at last they replaced the power supply and now is a great machine. This machines last forever! 5 years or more...
What you should think about is the 24" display, your macpro doesnt come with one, so, you will have to spend $1000 in one (the dell probably).
The ram in the macpro is insanely expensive to, think on that.

Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.