Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjw1378

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Hi All,

I have a Mac Pro (NB: *not* a laptop, one of the little black dustbins...) with three 4K monitors attached, all Dell P2415Q.

Ever since upgrading to El Capitan, after OS X puts the displays to sleep: on waking, a selection of background windows (Chrome, iCal, etc) are moved so only 1cm/0.5" is visible and have to be dragged back to the centre.

Having just upgraded to Sierra (10.12.0) to try and fix this, I'm afraid I can confirm that the issue is not resolved...

This is really quite frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone found a solution?

cheers,

Chris

barasmith

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I have a Mac Pro (NB: *not* a laptop, one of the little black dustbins...) with three 4K monitors attached, all Dell P2415Q.
Ever since upgrading to El Capitan, after OS X puts the displays to sleep: on waking, a selection of background windows (Chrome, iCal, etc) are moved so only 1cm/0.5" is visible and have to be dragged back to the centre.
Having just upgraded to Sierra (10.12.0) to try and fix this, I'm afraid I can confirm that the issue is not resolved...

Chris I have a very similar problem. I am running 4 Dell P2715Qs on my MacPro (late 2013) with 10.12.3 (Sierra).
I never let me computer sleep but I do have the monitors go into powersave mode when inactive. Generally my displays will wake up but occasionally I find my windows have disappeared, sometimes there is an edge to see but not always.

I found that clicking on the app in the doc to gain focus then going to Window > Zoom will bring the window back onto my monitor, although full size at that time. Then I manually resize it back. Cumbersome but seems to work.

The other problem I have is that when I shutdown my Mac Pro and reboot none of my Dell's will power on. I have a tiny HDMI monitor that if I plug it in, do a PRAM reset, my system will come up and the Dells will light up. I then just unplug the little HDMI monitor and my login page relocates to my primary Dell monitor and all is good till the next reboot. This is ugly and I have no idea why a PRAM reset is required on every restart. If I do not all my screens, even the HDMI display, go black and the system never comes up, or at least no displays come up, system might be running.

Might have to spend big bucks to move back to Apple displays :(

cjw1378

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Curious: Are those 4K monitors? If so, how are you powering more than 3 with a Mac Pro?

Next question: On the back, what is the "REV" of your panels? Mine say "REV A01"

You "computer never sleeps but monitors do" setup sounds identical to mine, but I experience window displacement during sleep much more frequently. I know the Window -> Zoom trick to find the windows again, but as you say, this shouldn't be needed!

I've not experienced your shutdown behaviour, I'm afraid.

Also, I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but you know Apple have stopped making displays, right?

Mitch Buchannon

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2016
The Netherlands
Curious: Are those 4K monitors? If so, how are you powering more than 3 with a Mac Pro?

Next question: On the back, what is the "REV" of your panels? Mine say "REV A01"

You "computer never sleeps but monitors do" setup sounds identical to mine, but I experience window displacement during sleep much more frequently. I know the Window -> Zoom trick to find the windows again, but as you say, this shouldn't be needed!

I've not experienced your shutdown behaviour, I'm afraid.

Also, I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but you know Apple have stopped making displays, right?

Hi,

REV means which revision it is. If you have A01 you have the first version. I have A04 since a few weeks. I received that one from Dell because of the continuous problems (pretty much the same as in this thread). The latest revision is working perfectly fine. Build quality is also much better.

cjw1378

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Hi,

REV means which revision it is. If you have A01 you have the first version. I have A04 since a few weeks. I received that one from Dell because of the continuous problems (pretty much the same as in this thread). The latest revision is working perfectly fine. Build quality is also much better.

Interesting. How did you contact Dell?

cjw1378

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
i'm sorry, I have no idea what that means. Can you unpack that for me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.