mac pro wont play games in windows :s but did previously

Discussion in 'Games' started by padré, Dec 15, 2006.

1. padré macrumors regular

so, i finnally have my mac pro back (since i brought it in for repair 5 weeks ago) and in the mean time i have bought dark messiah, i just installed it without any problem but when i click on the icon to get the application started, my cursor changes into a spinning cd wit a little arrow onthe left side above it,

(should this mean that the cd is not in the cd-drive, that would bewrong cause it is in the cd drive)

also when i drag the cd to the trash to get it out of the cd drive it show a blok icon (my cursor changes into a sort of no trespacing icon)

can anybody help me
    i played oblivion on this computer before so it should be able to play other games wright???
    i'm installing others now to see if they work

thx for your help

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Confusing, are you running in windows or osX as to eject a cd in xp you dont drag it to the trashcan ?

To eject simply press the eject key on keyboard, or go into my computer, right click on your cd drive and choose eject.

If you want to force eject your disc you can hold down your mouse button or shift on boot and your disc will be force ejected.

Dark Messiah works perfectly on my mac pro :eek:

3. padré thread starter macrumors regular

steam

hmmm i noticed that when i try to open it again, i get this steam thing, that askes me to creat an account, this account seems to be necesary to be able to play (sry i'm not much of a gamer, so i'm not formilliar with this steam thing) but the big problem seems to be that i cant creat an acound, it gives me an error every time i tried, and internet is unable to load the steam support page, but in time when this is fixed i'm shure that that will be the problem cause half-life 2 seems to need this steam 2 in order to play

a confirmation on that would be apreciaded

thx

edit: i tried to install dreamfall but after the installation it tells me: no usefull screenmodus found or not correct direct X.aborting

the strange thing is that it automaticly installed directx when i installed it so it should be the wrigt version

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

mmm it seems a clean install of windows might be more in order of the day.

As for Steam.

Strangley yes it installed steam for me, it requires it for multiplayer, but heres the thing, it tried to download the entire singleplayer game again. 3.6gb or some such ?

When mine installed it created not only steam shortcuts but also regular ones. The regular shortcuts load the single player without having to go through steam at all.

Its all a bit messy to be honest.

5. padré thread starter macrumors regular

well here what i did now: i installed previous bootcamp drivers (cause their seemed to be something wrong with my ati drivers, and i havent got a empty cd to instal the new drivers on) and know i am able to play both dark messiah and dreamfall, but in order to instal half live i stil need steam wich i can't get an account for :s damnit