Mac Pro X1900 XT

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lostngone, Aug 9, 2006.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Does anyone know if the X1900 XT that is an option on the mac pro is the same spec as a PC X1900 XT or is it a lesser X1900 that is re-badged for Apple.

2. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Whats the difference? and with as much horsepower the new Mac Pro's have can you really tell in a real world app or game?

4. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

I don't think anyone has received a x1900 so you'll have to wait until one shows up to know for sure. In the end what does it matter?

5. Hornblower macrumors newbie

Check this out:
    http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2811&p=7

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Which is interesting, since they sell the Mac cards with a 50% markup over the PC cards... So they're saying that a 50% markup isn't enough, they also need to use slower parts... Wonderful.

7. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Thank You, Hornblower.

I was afraid Apple/ATI was going to do that. At least they didn't cut any pipelines or switch the card completely with a lesser model and just call it a 1900.

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

ATI's alleged explanation doesn't make any sense, why would selling Mac cards at a lower speed help them sell more units in either market?

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes: Shame on ATI. :mad:

10. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

Uhh isn't it obvious?

Slap a "Mac edition" in front of everything and it's more expensive.

Belkin does it with cables, ATi does it with video cards, every single memory seller does it with RAM, the same iPod accessory for a regular mp3 player costs 10 dollars more because it says it's for an iPod.

You know it's sad it took you guys this long to see that ... but honestly I'm glad you guys are seeing it now.

Mac's and PC's run on the same parts. Don't ever get fooled into buying Mac edition anything. a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g

So for all you who are wondering WTF is going on, well it's about time you're IQ got knocked up a few points :D

11. quruli macrumors regular

Wow assuming we are all stupid is a great way to get your point across.

You act as if Mac products are the only ones to see such treatment. For example:

Some guy buys a Dell computer. He wants to upgrade his memory. He hops online he sees some memory and has no idea if it will work. Where does he go? Crucial.com, pops in his model and bam. Memory. No worries guaranteed to work. He could have easily gone to newegg.com and paid %25 less if he knew what he needed. So what is your point?

Part of the problem is that in order to get compatible parts with a Mac, you have to buy a Mac edition. Maybe you missed most of the posts saying that 3rd party graphics cards aren't working in the Mac Pro in OS X. So what choice do we have? Do we just not buy the things we need because there is a premium tacked on?

It sucks, but it is important to know when you have to and when you don't. For instance, if you were to buy Mac edition memory, hard drives, cd/dvd drivers, fans, usb cables, processors, etc. You would be a fool. However for expansion cards, many times there is no choice since the drivers just aren't there.

Apple should really work on driver support. It would definetly help them build marketshare and keep more customers happy. I think Apple offers great solutions, but they definetly need to get on the drivers. But maybe with the increased marketshare manufacturers will start supporting Macs. Who knows?