Mac Pro Xmas PRSI spin off

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by balamw, Dec 24, 2013.

1. balamw, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

balamw

Staff Member

2. macrumors regular

Yup Americans should feel guilty about everyone else living at a much lower standard than us :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 68020

i dont think they should feel guilty.

however.

they should at least be cognisant of others life situations compared to their own.

Christmas is supposed to be the time of giving and love for everyone. "**** you starving kid in Africa, i got my mac pro, so you're plight is irrelevant" is not the best attitude to take to endear yourself to anyone.

And as a non American... thats the kind of stereotype that is typically aimed at americans. Self centred people who are more impressed by their own financial wealth than that of giving and ensuring everyon'es well being.

don't play into that stereotype. it's not cool.

now we're just off topic though.

as the guy below me said...

4. macrumors 68000

Not guilty, thankful.

5. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Depends on who you compare me to. A semi pro DLSR will run u well over 3k

6. macrumors 6502

maybe that's because most americans feel you should be independent, stand on your two feet and be responsible for your own well being instead of looking for handouts.

7. macrumors 6502

mejsric

You will never be rich if you hate rich.

8. macrumors 6502

ain't that the truth.

9. macrumors 68020

while I agree on this premise,

its an impossible thoery. it doesn't take into account socio-economic factors that are completely outside the controls of any one individual. and while there are very few success stories of exceptional individuals who break outside their status, the most of the population not only wont, they can't.

its the strict adherance to the premise you say that gives the impression that americans are cold hearted inconsiderate bastards who would squish anyone else just for themselves.

10. kfscoll, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Get a grip. No one said anything remotely like "**** you starving kid in Africa, i got my mac pro, so you're plight is irrelevant." I'm not sure why you even brought something like that up. So the guy is excited about getting his Mac Pro; there's nothing wrong with that and no reason to try to make him feel guilty about his purchase. Seems to me like you're jealous and just trying to lash out.

This is an Apple rumors site, not a solve-world-hunger site. I'm not sure why you seem surprised to find someone here excited about receiving their brand new (and yes, expensive) computer. I know I can't wait until my nMP shows up!

11. macrumors 604

bushido

ugh one of those rare situations where it sucks to be a student :D

enjoy that beast

12. macrumors 6502

Just because you aren't smart enough to have a job with a good income, you shouldn't denigrate those who have money. I'm buying and fully loaded MacPro for personal use. I may be foolish, but I'm not jealous or poor or ignorant as you are.

While in general personal attacks are frowned upon, they should be most welcome when someone like you makes an absurd personal attack on others.

Have a nice day. Let me know if you need a few bucks for a McDonald's burger.

13. macrumors 6502a

Since you love to flaunt your wealth, I'd take a few (thousand) for the loans I have from college.

14. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

I get the same crap all the time from my friends. Yes, I have a job that not anyone could do and so I get paid more than you. No, that doesn't make me rich (I'm still $10K in debt from student loans... hoping to be debt free for the first time in 3 years by mid 2014...)

----------

...?

When does being a student not suck? Nothing sucks more than being a student - you have to pay tons of money to work hard, versus being employed where you get paid for working hard.

----------

Didn't you get a job to cover those loans? Or are you one of those people who thought, when you heard you should go to college, that anyone seriously thinks you should get a non-STEM* degree?

*There are non-STEM degrees worth getting, but STEM groups most of the degrees worth getting together so I tend to single it out. All of the degrees not worth getting lie outside of STEM; a few worth getting also lay outside of it.

15. macrumors member

Mac Pro Xmas PRSI spin off

Agreed!

At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.

Think about that as kids are violently unwrapping ios devices in the morning.

Merry X-mas!

16. macrumors demi-god

Nugget

I don't really have an opinion on the haves or have nots, but I wanted to say I love your app and I hope the $1.99 I spent helped pay for a new Mac Pro.

17. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

You helped pay for my fiancé's engagement ring.

Glad to hear you love the app. Don't you, as a MacRumors Demi-God, have some power over what gets reviewed in the MacRumors OS X blog? I request a review each time I update Battery Status with new features, and while the editors sometimes say they'll look into it, they've never actually written anything on it. Maybe you could throw some weight behind getting it reviewed. ;)

18. macrumors 65816

Despite your personal lack of wealth, you still live a life that most people would consider wealthy or well off, if only from a standpoint of the resources you use ...

There are different ways to measure wealth than simply by one's bank account.

I think the OP has a good point.

We're so far removed from how most of the people in the world live, that we've lost track of what poverty and wealth really mean.

19. macrumors 65816

I used to think this same way. I then came to realize that the jobs many students do are also done by non students, who do it full time (sometimes 1.5-2x full time). And who have little or no hope of ever doing something else.

20. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Maybe so, but the people accusing some of us of being rich are roughly in the same class as us. They're hypocritical, if nothing else.

21. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not if they also think they are rich...

22. macrumors 6502a

copykris

wait who said anything about americans?

who's everyone else? you should travel more

23. macrumors 604

bushido

you do not have to pay for education over here, in fact i get paid from the state every month and they also pay for studying abroad and lets be honest, actual "studying" doesnt exist 3 weeks prior to the exams (unless you are doing a semester in Spain, even 2h before the exam seems to be enough) ;)

24. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Instead of being angry over what you don't have, you should be happy with what you do have.

People WANT too much in today's society. They have no desire to live with just the basics, and that's sickening.

The Mac Pro is a $3,000 Pro machine. It was not made for the general consumer market like other Apple machines are. Is a $1,200 laptop still expensive? Yes. But that is Apple's strategy, and we have to accept it. People who can afford the new Mac Pro are easily going to make that money back in two months, it pays itself off.

I'm a college student too. I am finishing a marketable skills certificate program this next semester. I didn't want to take the 4 year program and be in debt, my college fund my dad invested into collapsed even, so I was even left with no money that I rightfully was entitled to.

I have been paying my tuition out of pocket MYSELF too. Sadly with my government benefits, but isn't that better than just sitting on my ass all day doing nothing instead and you paying for THAT?

As for being guilty about poverty in Africa, etc... The thing is, we've been pouring BILLIONS into those programs since at least the 80's. We're doing as much as we can and it seems to make very little difference. Not that we should stop caring, but man, we can't even fix our own local poverty.

25. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Africa has grown fast - 6 of the 10 fastest growing economies are in Africa. http://www.economist.com/blogs/baobab/2013/05/development-africa