Mac Processor Requirements.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cheap-Chopstix, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Cheap-Chopstix macrumors member

I was lookin at some games for Macs and some of them say they require a G4 700 or 800 processor. I'm thinkin of maybe gettin an Ibook and would be disappointed if I couldn't play certain games cuz of the G3 processor. Well anyways if the game says it requires a g4 700 if say i get the 900 mhz g3 processor would the game work? Or does it have to be G4 totally to work?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

this will upset a lot of g3 fans, but dont buy a new g3. this is the oldest chip and is on the way out. if apple doesnt put a g4 in it ill be surprised. soon g5's will be in other products so dont go g3. also some programs utilize altivec and g3 dont have it.

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

If things specify a G4 whatever then it's probably because they heavily rely on the Altivec unit which the G3 lacks. If an app doesn't use the Altivec unit much then the G3 is similar to a G4 performance wise. So bottomline is if it says it needs a G4 then a G3 probably won't cut it.

Just because the G3 is old doesn't mean it's crap. True it doesn't have Altivec but it does have lower power usage and low heat output on it's side. If IBM can add altivec to a G3 and retain those good points then I'd have a G3 over a G4 anyday. Of course Apple probably wouldn't call it a G3 maybe a G4mobile or something. If I had to rely on IBM or Motorola to supply processors I know who I'd trust:rolleyes:

4. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

From what I've heard if they update the G3 with altivec it is a better prcessor than the G4. But that means if they ever add altivec to the G3;)

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

with the 7457 g4 i dont think this true anymore.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If IBM did choose to add AltiVec, they would probably give the whole processor a better implementation than Motorola did/does.

After recently upgrading my old G3/400 to a G3/800 processor, I found that it's actually faster by a small margin (7 percent) than my dual G4/800 on the same functions--per processor, of course.

The 7447s in the latest PowerBooks seem pretty decent, but double-precision floating point still doesn't seem very healthy, which is a by-product of the Motorola compromise.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

the real solution is a g5 everywhere but how long would that take apple? 2-3 years because of marketing? lets hope we see signs of this but to be honest my 1.33 g4 does everything i need but i have not played doom3 yet with it.

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I'll have to side with the G3 fans on this one. If the rumors of an AltiVec enabled PPC 750 processor are true (and I suspect they may be), I think the G4 is heading out the door sooner than the G3 is. The next incarnation of the PPC750, the GX, will support a 200 MHz FSB (although it is only a 60x bus), which the current G4s still lag behind. That's the main problem with the G4s actually, is the poor FSB. Furthermore, the G3 has a better FPU.

The G3 is, IMO, an ideal chip for notebook computers--the main problem is that it doesn't have AltiVec. If the G3 gets it I think Apple put the G3 into notebooks until low power G5 comes out and put the G4 into consumer desktops until they can be transitioned to the G5.

I don't think an AltiVec PPC750xx would be called a G3 anymore. The "G" is Apple's designation, not the chip manufacturers. I think it stands for "Generation", i.e. "Generation 1", "Generation 2", et. al. The PPC 601, 603, and 603e could be considered "G1", the PPC 604 and 604e could be though of as "G2", the PPC 750xx is the "G3" (I think) because of the multiple pipes in the ALU and FPU, the MPC 74xx/75xx is the "G4" due to the AltiVec unit, and the PPC 970 is the "G5" due to the fact that it is a sixty-four bit processor.

Add AltiVec to the PPC 750xx and you have, for all practical intents and purposes, a mobile G4 unit.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

whatever apple does the current g3 is not cutting the mustard, the current g4 can cut it and i dont have to mention g5.

10. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I don't think apple wil go this route because that would effectivley eliminate the low end market (if there is such a thing with Apple;) ) and every thing would be priced from 1999 to 3000 dollars. Apple makes a lot on the iBooks, and iMacs and gains a lot of switchers with those lines. I think we will see the decline of the G4 before the decline of the G3.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

just saw this mattmack, you could be right but with marketing it is hard to say, would apple call the the g3 with altivec a g3 or g4? i dont see apple staying with a bad apple like moto, twice as much now moto is begging for anyone to buy the semiconducter part. I still think g5's everywhere and ibook will get the ibm g3 with altivec and apple will call it a g4.

12. Santiago macrumors regular

One of the big disadvantages that a G3 has relative to a G4 is that it isn't fully MESI-compliant, so you can't make multiprocessor systems with them. However, any new multiprocessor systems from Apple will be G5-based, so replacing the G4 with a G3+AltiVec is now much less of an issue. Based on my understanding of the chip architectures, the G4 has a better FPU than the G3, not the other way around.

Given consumer perception, a G3+AltiVec would need to be called something that sounded at least as good as a G4, such as G4+, G4i, G4m, G4x, etc. Otherwise people will whine that 3 is less than 4, and therefore worse.

13. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I am pretty sure that the latest 750 can do smp - not sure of the MESI part.

14. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I might be wrong about this, but from everything I have seen and read the Motorola Alti-Vec unit is actually more advanced then the one that is currently in use by IBM. I am not trying to start a flame war by saying something positive about Motorola, but I think Moto needs a little credit in this area.

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You're right Abercrombieboy.
    The G4's Altivec seems to be quicker than the G5's. Don't know why, though.