Mac profits!?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by OKComputer, Jan 16, 2002.

1. OKComputer macrumors 6502

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

They have 6 billion dollars
    why worry so much

3. Unregistered Guest

why worry?

Because investors look at profits and $4.3 billion dollars in cash is a nice sum of money, but it won't buy you investors and it won't buy you market share if you're losing money. Apple turning a profit, especially in this economy and the way the industry is right now, is good news. I would think that would be obvious.

4. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Correction:

Not just in the black, but in the black with a product line that was effectively stagnant for that quarter.

Also the fact that the entire rest of the Tech sector is still clutching it's collective nuts in pain while Apple is posting a modest proffit must be taken for what it is: A sign that the "Apple Deathwatch" is a stupid, outdated concept.

News flash: Any company doing well in a field that is, for the most part tanking must be stable.:)

5. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: why worry?

Actually i would have thought that liquidity is one of the main things that potential investors would look for, what with the economy worldwide being what it is. $4.3 billion in cash is something a good number or large corporations would love to have. It provides a good source of stability for.... a rainy day.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

doing well

Apple is making a profit.....they have a bunch of cash sitting around for a rainy day.....

things are looking up....their stock isn't worth squat....but they are doing ok...

we still need to see what the reaction to the new iMac is going to bring for the year....

patience....patience young grasshopper...

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Stock price is NOT a measure of health.

Stock price is a measure of mutual exposure: The higher a stock value the greater the implied mutual risk to both the investor and the company. High stock values in Tech companies are a disaster waiting to happen.

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

stock prices

maybe u are right.....but still.....stock that goes nowhere but down over the course of a year isn't worth holding on to.....esp. when your financial advisor suggests u get out of it when it finally becomes worth what u paid to begin....

did that make sense? :cool:

9. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

aslong as apple makes money it's all good hehe

10. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Apple Shares

I am an Apple Share holder ... im not to worried. I wish I would have gotten in 4 years ago before the iMac but my broker talked me out of it. He's not my broker anymore.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

a lesson learned

I got in when the shares fell.....then a year later I'm actually losing money.....

even though I thought it would eventually go up since it was so much higher before the drop......just goes to show u shouldn't invest in a company just because u like them.....

12. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

No, you just shouldn't treat stocks like roulette.

Speculating and Day Trading are dangerous, addictive hobbies. They're a losing game and the house (your broker) always wins. Remember: Your broker makes money on both ends, often on the differential. If you like a company, buy it and sit on it. Dividends may not look as tastey but the're more reliable than re-stacking your chips when the market shifts. Listening to most brokers is like taking "hit" advice from the blackjack dealer: He only helps you until you're hooked.;)

Just sit tight. The reason Apple's stock rarely gets all that high is that they very quietly buy back stock to retain value in the business when investors decide to go play another table.

Key times to buy: Dec 20th, April 15th, july 15th. Basically in the troughs between expo's. Hint: Apple always releases in the same 4 slots in the year, concurrent with their fiscal quarter map which cycles in October.

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

true....but....

u are right.....but the small difference is my broker is my mother....so she's not out to screw me at least.....but u are right...he he he....