mac purchase opinions, please!

Discussion in 'Community' started by besson3c, May 27, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a temporary computer for myself, and am looking at the various low cost Mac offerings (most specifically, the eMac and iMac). When I'm ready to purchase my permanent Mac, I will sell this aforementioned machine.

Because I don't plan to have this computer for the long haul, I'm thinking I don't *really* need anything beyond the CD-ROM drive (my work computers have Superdrives, and I have a home DVD player). However, I'm also thinking that a computer with only a CD-ROM drive will have poor resale value.

Do you think spending the extra money on a combo drive (or Superdrive) would be justified in terms of resale value? Would it be difficult and/or expensive (and possible) to have the CD-ROM replaced with a combo or Superdrive sometime down the road?

Where do you recommend selling Mac stuff?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughtful words of advice...

2. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

For a temporary computer to hold you over...

i think the eMac is an excellent deal. You should get extra RAM for performanec..

But, looking at the $999 version with 1GHz PPC, Combo Drive seems a great deal.

The additional $200 over the $799 version gets you both the Combo drive, larger HD and 200 extra MHz.

I feel like most people would use a Combo drive... if you absolutely don't need it, I don't think u should get it just for resale value. Also depends if the extra $200 is worth it to you.

remember to add more ram (but don't buy that from Apple)

arn

3. thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking at the eMac, and will be purchasing RAM from Crucial or 18004memory.com, as usual. I will use my ed discount with this purchase, and the ADC student developer discount with my permanent computer (you can only use this literally once in a lifetime now).

The extra $200 is definitely worth it to me for what I would get, but I'm thinking I can live with the base model.

Let's throw in the bigger HD and 200 Mhz into the mix... will this increase the resale value?

Thanks Arn!

4. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

eMac with edu discount is an unbeatable deal, even better than most deals with the student developer discount.

I'm tempted myself, but have vowed to hold out for a PowerMac and a 20" panel.

PS I use www.transintl.com for memory and HD upgrades.

5. macrumors 6502

pianojoe

If you don't need the bigger machine, don't buy it! You'll get $75 out of your $200 at most.

6. macrumors 68000

beatle888

a temporary computer? i guess i would say buy a used one.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Brit: unfortunately, you can only use your student developer discount once in a lifetime now. 20% off the purchase of an eMac isn't worth exercising this now. Thanks for the website URL.

Pianojoe: how do you figure $75? An estimate, or rule-of-thumb?

Beatle: where can I buy a used Mac that still carries a warranty? I don't want to buy a dog.

8. macrumors 68000

beatle888

a lot of macs are still under warrenty at ebay. people purchase the extended apple warrenty thats transferable.

9. thread starter macrumors member

I'm a bit squeamish about buying expensive things off of eBay because of scams and defective merchandise.

I suppose given the buyer feedbacks and the Applecare warranties this is rather unfounded? What do you think?

10. macrumors 68000

beatle888

well, ive never bought a system on ebay. maybe some members here can share their experiences with you. i know a few people that bought macs on ebay. also apple sells referbished macs on their site. go to the store section and down towards the bottom you'll see a red tag that says special offeres. you might wanna check that out. hopefully someone can show you the ropes for an ebay purchase. its time us mac fans started getting our moneys worth.

im really DOWN on apple right now. their making my job really difficult. so im a little bitter.

11. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's not at all; it's only $4 cheaper than going with a straight edu discount when all is said and done. The edu discount can be used once a year for major hardware.

The eMac is still aimed squarely at the education market, and Apple's pricing reflects this.

12. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

BTW, I would never buy a used Mac unless it was a substantially older one to be used for a specific purpose.

The price of a late model used Mac compared to a brand new one doesn't make sense to me.

13. Retired

jefhatfield

it all depends on your budget

now there are finally a number of good used mac deals with decent performance

14. macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm voting with arn for the eMac here. It looks like the best value for the money and for what you are describing. My dad has a 700 mhz eMac and loves it. And if you have other computers to network to the emac, you won't need the cd burner or the extra hard drive sapce if you won't have it long enough to fill up.
    I used my ADC student discount the day the 1 Ghz TiBooks came out.:D

15. macrumors P6

wdlove

I share your fear of ebay. If I was interested in a used Mac, I would prefer going to a legitimate company. I would rather pay a little extra for peace of mind!