.mac question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nataku, Feb 7, 2006.

1. nataku macrumors regular

nataku

I plan to subscribe to .mac but i don't want to give away my credit card number (yes I am very careful when it comes to credit cards). I know that there is a .mac box sold in Apple stores. It contains an activation key right? I plan to buy one but I want to know if Apple will still require the credit card (for purposes I may not know of).

Thanks! :)

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i don't think it is required it might ask you for it so that it will automatically bill you in a year when the year is up

3. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

puckhead193 hit it on the... ;)

No credit card required, and I believe you can even buy another box and enter the code inside for any subsequent years you want.
    -Chasen

4. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

No credit card

Im one of the (few) .mac users, and indeed you need no credit card. Just buy a retail pack and enter the code. And when you renew just enter a new code :)

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you order .Mac online do they ship you a retail box or just sign you up and activate online?

6. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

They ship you the box, which basically only contains a code (ok and a little book)

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Thanks, I was thinking about buying it online since there isn't a store nearby.

8. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Yeah .mac is really good wether its worth the money is another matter.

Especially good if you want to make a website to show your pictures to your friends and family. Thats really quick and easy and looks great

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, I have a Geocities site but I'd rather not attempt to resurrect it again. I'll just copy over my work to .Mac and continue it on from there.

PDF's, RPG supplements, and some images. And not to mention iLife.

10. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Although I can see why you're worried, I'm not sure it's justified. Apple's a pretty reputable company, I'm sure they vet their employees who could access your account. Even if they were hacked and your details stolen, all the major cards have free online fraud protection. I know I'm guaranteed upto an insane amount. I just hope they let me keep the cashback on the fraudulent purchase :)

In-fact, you're more likely to have the card swiped through a reader by an unscrupulous waiter in a restaurant than losing it to Apple online.

AppleMatt