Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
A question for those of who have already upgraded:

I currently have two mac.com email addresses, one for personal communications and one for buying stuff, newsletters, etc. The .Mac pages say that once you have upgraded you can purchase a second email address for $10. I'm just wondering if any of you have tried this. Would I be able to use this feature to hold on to my current secondary address, or would I have to let it die and pick a new secondary one?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Please can someone who has upgraded answer this question!
I have one mac.com email and my family another, it would be great if they could keep there address for just $10 if I give in and pay the $50 for my full mac.com account.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
If you pay for .mac you can then buy another e-mail address for $10 which anyone can use. I hope that clears it up.

If you register basicly your current e-mail setup will not change, all of your addresses should remain the same.

Ensign

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Cheers ensign, one last thing...

If I turn my edesignuk@mac.com into a full .mac account can I then register and existing (currently FREE) mac.com e-mail address for the $10 fee, or can you only register NEW mac.com addresses for the $10.
I hope all that makes sense :)

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Originally posted by verbose101
Cheers ensign, one last thing...

If I turn my edesignuk@mac.com into a full .mac account can I then register and existing (currently FREE) mac.com e-mail address for the $10 fee, or can you only register NEW mac.com addresses for the $10.
I hope all that makes sense :)

That's my question as well: can I keep my current 2nd address by adding it for $10, or would I have to pick a new one?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
ok, I am not sure there because I don't actually use .mac mail accounts, you would have to ask Apple or somebody who does :) To tell the truth I haven't signed up yet but I am going to do it later tonight when my father returns with his credit cards.

Ensign

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
you would have to ask Apple or somebody who does :)
So then, has anyone out there done what we have been speaking about and can confirm if what we are asking can be done?
:confused:

jt23

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2002
.mac email addresses

yes you can do that. Once you have fully registered one account, you can convert another (up to five) account to email only -- as long as you know the password for that account. it works seemlessly. that is, there are no email interuptions.

i did this at home -- registered the full account under my name and converted my wife's account to email only. works great.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: .mac email addresses

Originally posted by jt23
yes you can do that. Once you have fully registered one account, you can convert another (up to five) account to email only -- as long as you know the password for that account. it works seemlessly. that is, there are no email interuptions.

i did this at home -- registered the full account under my name and converted my wife's account to email only. works great.
Thanku! That's perfect, I guess I'll be off to sign up then :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.