.Mac questions from potential switcher

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by DaveTheRave, May 22, 2003.

1. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502

May 22, 2003
    I currently use an ancient Wintel machine at home and am considering buying a new 12" PowerBook this summer. For the last year or so I've been using Hotmail as a second email address to test it out. I had been planning to get a new pc with cable modem and use Hotmail as my main email account since I can log in and read my messages at home or at work. But now that I'm considering the PB, I've become interested in the .mac services as well.

Here's my questions:

First of all, does .mac email allow you to sort email messages into folders? Do they have a whitelist option that puts all messages from addresses I don't have in my address book into a junk mail folder?

Does the web email feature allow you to forward messages that have attachments? Also, is there a limit to the number of attachments you can send? (not the total size of the attachment, but the number)

How is the calendar feature? (I have been using MSN's online calendar occasionally but Microsoft just sent me a message saying its going to be deleted unless I subscribe to MSN 8. No thanks.)

If I were to buy a Bluetooth-enabled phone like the upcoming T608 for Sprint, would I be able to add a contact to the .mac address book, use the iSync to add it to my PB address book, the use Bluetooth to send it to my phone?

Does the anti-virus feature scan everything in your .mac account or does it scan your computer, too?

Overall I think the .mac package is a bit overpriced, since I would only use it for email and occasional file storeage/archiving and the antivirus protection. But Hotmail wants $20 for extra storage and the Mac version of anti-virus would cost at least $50, so .mac seems competitive. I don't do anything with digital photos, etc. but then again it only works out to about $8/month.

Is the .mac service the online equivalent to the "mac" computer experience? I guess what I'm looking to do is simplify things...get a laptop that works well - both software and hardware. I would hope that the quality of the .mac online service is up to par as well, ie easy to use, dependable, etc. All comments will be welcome! Thank you.
  2. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2001
    Re: .Mac questions from potential switcher

my answers are in your post seperated by astriks. good luck.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Are you thinking that .Mac is for internet access as in an ISP?

It's just an online service that you could use for an additional email account (beyond your ISP provided ones) and online storage. Also it has basic wepage creation and wepage hosting. It's a pretty nice service but all in all it is not needed at all.
  4. smurphur macrumors member

May 31, 2003
    Austin, TX
    .mac question as well

I have a question about the .mac service... Do they possibly do DNS service for domain names? Like if I owned a domain would they host it and forward the *@domain.com to my .mac email acct? and foward www.domain.com to my .mac website? I've tried to find if .mac does that on their website but didn't see it. Thanks in advance
  5. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2002
    New England
    I have a .mac account. I don't read my email on their website, instead I use their mail forwarding feature. So any mail that is sent to my mac.com address gets forwarded to my domain that I registered.

I also have a homepage with .mac, but I wanted to have a address that is easier to remember. I went to buydomains.com and registered my own domain for $16 per year. That includes domain forwarding. It is really cool. Anybody that goes to my .com domain automatically gets sent to my homepage.mac.com website.

I really love .mac. I post many pics on there and it is so easy to upload to .mac. It will also create your own photogalleries with fancy borders easily with the iphoto program.

Check out my website:

6. maradong macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
  7. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2002
    New England
    A great .Mac website

I just discovered this guy's .Mac website. Check it out and see what he has done.

There is also a website that is just about .Mac websites. If you can get tons of ideas by visiting others websites. Go to:

8. jzieske macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2003
    Bloomington, MN
    .mac was a good service when it was free. When it comes to paying for it I am not sure it is worth the $$$. I stopped using when it became a paid option. I like you only used the mail feature and not the bells and whistles. i would pay say $20 a year but not any more. Hope it helps.