mac radeon 9200 pci is on the way.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blue&whiteman, Apr 7, 2004.

1. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

from todays news at accelerate your mac:

"ATI Displays 4.2 includes 9200 PCI card logo - At MWSF 2004 ATI had a 128MB PCI Mac card based on the 9000 series graphics chip running at their booth. I've had several readers ask about this card since posting that info back in January, but no official product announcement yet from ATI. However the reader that did the patches to the ATI 4.2 Displays for the OEM 9800 Pro and 9600 Pro cards recently posted a note that the 4.2 ATI displays contains the ID/logo of the new card:

" While digging throught the newly released ATI Displays 4.2 (figuring out how to make it work with my OEM card), I came across this graphic. http://www.etracer.net/graphics/radeon_9200_pci.gif
    It's in a resource file containing logo graphics for all the rest of the Mac ATI cards that the ATI Displays application supports.
    It can be found in the Contents/Resources/en.lproj/Localized.rsrc file inside the ATI Displays package.
    Looks like we'll soon be seeing a PCI Radeon 9200.
    Etracer"

Rumor has it the card will be priced similarly to the existing 7000 PCI card model but only time will tell. I'm planning on replacing my older PCI Radeon card in the B&W G3 with one of these when it's available."

2. blue&whiteman thread starter macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

you can be sure the quartz extreme hack for pci radeons will run a lot better on that card.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Actually it will run the same as the current 7000's do. The only difference will be in 3D. Your main bottleneck is still the PCI bus, which isn't dedicated like AGP.

4. blue&whiteman thread starter macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I run my 7000 in my b&w's 66mhz pci slot so it is dedicated. there is a bus chip for the 1 66mhz slot and another for the 3 33mhz slots. 66mhz pci is agp 1x more or less. but yes, I won't see much 2D boost with it. any boost is welcomed though and even though i'm not much of a gamer the improved 3D will be nice.