Mac RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 2GoldFish, Feb 16, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

2GoldFish

Hi all.

I have purchased a refurbished iMac from Apple recently. It is the 2011 model, 21" screen with an i5 processor at 2.5GHz. Because i purchased it in the refurbished section, apple did not allow me to use the upgrade option by adding more RAM. Hence i did not know the maximum amount of RAM that it can support.

I have had a look at the brand new iMac section and found that Apple would only allow purchaser to upgrade up to 8GB of RAM for this particular model, so is this an indication that it can only support 8GB?

However, i have had a look on the 'RAM upgrade guide' on the apple website. It somehow states that 2011 21" iMac can support up to 16GB? (see here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423?viewlocale=en_US#1)

So my question is, can my iMac only support 8GB or 16GB?

Thanks in advance.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. macrumors 65816

Apple only offers 8GB on your model so that people who need more upgrade to the more expensive model.
    Your iMac can actually though support up to 32GB (4x8GB)

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

2GoldFish

Thanks for the advise.

I have had a look at the print out of the spec at the time of purchase. Somehow, Apple did stated that it can 'support up to 8GB' not, 16GB as suggested.

Do you think it is because this is a refurbished Mac? :confused:

5. simsaladimbamba

Apple does not always stated the maximum RAM their Macs can have.
    It supports up to 32 GB RAM, as repeatedly mentioned here and in that thread I linked to.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

2GoldFish

I have also noticed that another member in that thread said that educational mac has a limitation of reading only up to 8GB of RAM. Do you think it is possible that my mac (being refurbish) was previously an educational mac? Which explains why the spec stated that this can only support up to 8GB?

7. simsaladimbamba

Unlikely.

8. macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

You could always go to Crucual.com and use their scanner which would tell you all about the RAM your specific machine will take.

9. macrumors newbie

The educational iMac had an i3 processor, not the i5 you have.

10. macrumors 6502

It says that even for the normal ones on the Apple Store site. The way Apple works is that since it has the same CPU, it'll have the same other components, so supported RAM is the same. As someone else stated, 32 GB (4X8 GB) is the actual maximum.

If you're ever curious about max RAM for a certain Mac product, check out:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

2GoldFish

Cheers everyone.

My next question i guess, is whether all slots have to have the equal amount of RAM installed?

e.g. Current the Mac has S1-2GB, S2-2GB, S3-Free, S4-Free. Can i just go out and buy two 4GB RAM and install it on S3 and S4, thus makes it 12GB RAM? Or do they all have to be 2GB or 4GB.

If so is there any particular preference which slot they should be in? e.g. Larger RAM goes in first two slots and smeller RAM goes on 3rd and 4th?

12. simsaladimbamba

You can do whatever you want.

You can use two 2 GB modules + two 4 GB modules. Or any other combination

13. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Is the ram always going to be the same in future imacs? That is to say if I bought say corsair or crucial ram for the iMac of today would I be able to use it for a future iMac 2012? Even if its redesigned? There are some great deals online for ram.

14. simsaladimbamba

Most probably, since there is no new RAM out there to use, except with a faster speed, but it will be DDR3 204-pin SO-DIMM RAM, which Apple uses since 2008.

15. macrumors 68020

16. simsaladimbamba

What is your source? The thread I linked to in my first reply says otherwise.

17. macrumors 68020

Did I really say that? :D

It was old information, which of course is why I deleted it. :D

18. simsaladimbamba

Not when I quoted you.

19. macrumors newbie

Does anyone know i3 iMac mid late 2010 support maximum how many ram? I have 4Gb right now. After 1 year my mac run so extremely slow right now. Is there other reason than lack of ram?

20. macrumors 6502

Use this site to figure out max RAM:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/

Looks like 32 GB is your max. But it shouldn't be running that slow.. open up Activity Monitor and look at the percentage of your CPU being used, and look at the Page Outs on the System Memory tab. Let us know what it says and we can help figure out what the issue is. What are you doing when you're finding your iMac slow?

21. macrumors newbie

@laserbeam273 Thank you for your reply,

http://imgur.com/VdYLu

This is my activities, that's make me wonder why the com so slow. I have to restart after "heavy activities" like playing starcraft 2.

Why Firefox take up to 30% CPU usage sometimes?.Even when I just surfing web it's really laggy.

22. macrumors member

Your iMac can support up to 32GB of RAM. Don't buy it off the Apple website either it is WAY overpriced. Buy it from OWC its way cheaper

----------

Yes big games like that will do that. When playing games the more RAM the better. Don't use Firefox, use Google Chrome, it will load much faster.

23. macrumors newbie

It probably means that the individual memory stick maximum is 8 GB-- use 4 of them and you are up to 32GB.

24. macrumors 6502

More RAM would definitely help with gaming, but as for normal surfing it's not going to make a difference. The i3 isn't going to be a great performer at SC2 particularly if you have decent settings on, but it should be more than enough for browsing. It's hard to say without actually using your computer.

How full is your hard drive? Anything much above 80% will probably cause noticeable slowdowns. And is it actually that slow for just browsing the internet, before playing SC2? If it isn't, then it is after playing SC2, try get a good RAM clearing app from the app store - that might help.

25. macrumors newbie

The i3 is more than enough for SC2 on high settings. I know this because I play it all the time on the same machine.