Mac repair shops popping champagne after 'eco-friendly' DV...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 17, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Oh the sweet delicious irony of a greenie weenie disc chews up inside a drive.

LOL! Is that a feature or a bug?

3. macrumors 603

shadowfax

I like how they take no responsibility for their "low environmental impact" discs. That's right you jackasses! Your failure to communicate to consumers with proper warning label on a VERY standard-looking disc caused those DVDs to be have the HIGHEST environmental impact of any DVD, ever--consumers not only throw their crap eco-DVD, but they also have to throw away their DVD PLAYERS! nice going, and glad to see you jerks trying to shift blame to someone else.

4. macrumors 68020

samh004

Doesn't sound like a particularly useful disc, in fact I'll imagine most of those discs have now ended up in landfills. -1 to the greenies.

5. macrumors G5

nagromme

Much as I HATE when people try to do some good :rolleyes: and delight in calling them names when possible... this isn't from some environmental nonprofit, but from a commercial company. With a clearly flawed product. It is by NO stretch of the imagination an attempt at helping the environment: this is a bunch of throwaway discs sent out with a newspaper. Using the "ecodisc" product was an attempt either to lessen the impact of that waste, or to seem to do so.

In neither case are nonprofits the source of this product. And I assume it's nonprofits who people hate and call "greenie weenies" in the hopes that we can all get back to polluting as much as possible ;)

I'm not sure who benefits when environmental efforts run into roadblocks. But whatever that sweet delicious benefit is... enjoy it, I guess....

6. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and this just goes to show a flaw in slot loaded drives. They are 2 easily jammed up by slightly out of spec DVDs and CDs.

Personally I think this should be a wake up call to Apple and other slot loader makers to put a much wider tolerance in what type of Disk it can handle because lets face it companies are going to make disk that our out of spec and apple computers can not handle them which is going ot lead to a huge mess of problems.

7. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

This is kind of funny.

8. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Interesting choice of spelling and punctuation.

A wider slot might be in order, but I generally have no problem. It's the mini CDs that are the trick.

My Powerbook eventually decided to eat CDs. I generally had to stick a knife in there and widen the slot so they would come out on command. Even when I was cursing the drive, I would have taken it over the tray-loading style used by everyone else.

9. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

drawback of slot loading drives

10. macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i feel sorry for those who had a disk stuff in their Macs.

11. macrumors member

HA! this sounds like the perfect Onion headline...

12. macrumors 68040

shamino

I will respectfully disagree with you there. I'd much rather have a tray-loading drive on my laptop. That would let me use 3" discs and business-card discs, both of which I find very convenient when I need to give small amounts of data to others.

But that's a matter of personal preference. In any case, Apple should make the slot a bit wider. Car stereos use a wide slot. So does Nintendo's Wii and an old Pioneer drive I used to use in a PC. Discs never get stuck in those drives, regardless of thickness.

Looks are all great and wonderful, but they have to take a back seat to functionality.