Mac Repairman's Toolboox...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tjwett, Aug 6, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

tjwett

so i'm training right now for Apple Desktop Repair Certification and I was wondering if any techs out there could tell me what are the must-haves for the Mac repair tool kit. all i've seen so far that's really Mac-specific is a kind of
    all-in-one tool from OWC. does Apple actually sell their own tools to Mac techs, or is there a good place to get the stuff i'd need? any info would be awesome. thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Well, first thing they need to know is how to "fix" laptop feet. LOL
    :)

3. macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

screw fixing them, just keep them in stock and a powerbook owner like me would love you!

4. thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

Zing! very funny. :D now, if anyone wants to offer some REAL help...lol.

5. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Hmm...if you get me a rubber foot for my PowerBook, I'd help you! :D

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

oh no, i've been threadjacked. damn. also, is it possible to buy factory boot/install disks from Apple for various machines? i'm working on a legacy iMac tomorrow and it would be nice to have the proper disks and whatnot. i'm sure i could run Disk Utility from my 12" PowerBook boot disk but if i need to do a restore i may be screwed. any thoughts?

7. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

i have that but all it has is a CD ROM. maybe i just haven't gotten up to the part about the tools yet.

9. macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Well there's the obvious, full antistatic work surface, full selection of screwdrivers, ram, scsi and ide HDD;s, lots of little flippin' screws. As for mac specific items, i have no idea.

10. macrumors 68020

Macs use a lot of small Torx screws. That's the only thing that's unique about them, other than they don't break.

As for the rubber feet, I have some. Who can supply the 15" Aluminum Powerbook to attach them to? :)

11. Gus
    macrumors 65816

Gus

You can get a complete set of TORX screwdrivers from Radio Shack for about $9.00. I recommend that first.

Regards,
    Gus

12. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

for common things make sure you have like a jeweler's sized set of screwdrivers, like the philips 0 thats used alot on the iBook. Also look at www.radtech.us they sell various tools that are ment to spruce up the mac and may be what your looking for.. also that g4 iMac head tool ....

13. thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

thanks, thanks, and thanks. i'll check all those out.

14. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Don't forget a paperclip (for reset/CD tray override holes) and a nickel (for occasional laptop batteries.)

In fact, those are the only "tools" I make sure to carry with my iBook.

Other than that, you'll need a good set of screwdrivers -- Phillips, flat, hex, and Torx -- in various sizes, including long reach (or extensions) and some slightly magnetic. Don't leave home without Champs -- or any similiar mutli-tool like I've pictured at the bottom of the page.

Don't forget pliers and needlenose. A static strap is a wise investment. Electrical tape, glue, clamps and compressed air are must-haves.

I'd also carry a small, powerful magnet (about the size of a button) to attach to the shaft of your screwdriver to give the occasional pesky screw that won't line up a little more hold.

Attached Files:

15. macrumors 6502a

jbomber

it's all about the t-6 torx screwdriver. so tiny, so hard to find.

well actually, the mac doesn't use that particular size,but still very hard to find.

16. thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

well, i used to be a low-voltage electrician so i have a bunch of stuff already. any Mac-specific stuff anyone can think of? keep the suggestions coming guys. i appreciate it.