Mac Rev. A Machines

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ebook, Aug 3, 2004.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

I was wondering what everyones experience is with Mac's Revison A machines. I am trying to figure out how I want to replace my iMac 500 and I'm not sure what to do. Of course I will wait to see what they look like and what the price and specs are. But, I'm a little scared of what the Rev. A would be like...heat, low specs, other issues...??? So, I'm just wondering if people often have bad experiences with them. If it sounds like a good idea to not jump on the first revisions I'm going to get a used PB and wait for the iMacs to be updated for the first time.

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I'll try to respond before everyone flames you for not doing a search before posting. :D

Many consider Rev A's problematic because they are the first run of the new form and processors. In my opinion this is all way over blown. I myself have a rev A and it runs like a dream.

3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Just keep in mind that Apple doesn't release a new product without serious testing and reasearch. They would release a product that was defect ridden knowingly.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My Rev A purchased-last-September-so-it-has-all-Rev-A-parts dual-2.0 GHz G5 is a dream come true. Zero problems.

5. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply Dr.!!

As far as people flaming me, well they can go ahead. It's no skin off of my back. In fact I did do a search for it on the forums. But in my mind it's easier said than done. I searched for things like "rev a", "revision a", and "first revison". I found lots of threads about iPhoto, G5 Powermacs, Garage Band, and other things. But I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. That being said, I'm sure people will point me to a few threads, and that would be fine. I'll just pat you on the back and say, "you are more MacRumors savy than I"!!!

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I have had a rev A iBook, Quicksilver G4, LCIII (way back when), iPod....never had one bit of trouble with any of them (or any Mac I've owned for that matter). I as well think the whole "avoid rev a" business is nonsense....oh yeah!

7. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

Great!! This will probably make my decision much easier! Thanks for the quick replies.

8. jcook793 macrumors regular

Ditto.

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i have a rev a powerbook and couldnt be happier; sure i know of some people who complain of glitches, but more often than not they are resolved. i heard that some powermacs have this noise issue but hey, nothings perfect right

10. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I have a Rev A powerbook 17" and a Rev A G5 2.0. Both computers have run flawless since I got them. I think the only really viable Rev A problem I remember recently was that 15" white spot problem.....

really I think it's overblown too, if you get a bad box apple will fix it, but chances are it will run great right away

11. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I had a Rev.A G4 iBook @800MHz. It sh*t the bed. Bad RAM...then bad logic board... then the hard drive failed. But iBook's are notorious for having "issues".

12. arf macrumors member

arf

I've got a Rev A pbk 12. Runs like a dream, no probs!

13. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I use 2 Rev. A 2gig G5's, one at home, and one at work, and neither of them have caused any problem that has to do with "Rev.A buggy hardware". I have had problems with my work computer, but it's a software/hardware compatibility issue with softraid and my JBOD.

My home G5 has been working flawlessly since I got it last October. I have never even encountered a kernel panic on it either.

Rev.A products have not caused me any problems that I can tell, but that's just my experience.

14. evil macrumors 6502

i have a rev a pbk 12 too. i had a problem with mine, but i dont attribute it to being a rev a. the power socket thing in the computer went bad and needed to be replaced.

15. matthutch macrumors regular

I have a rev a 12" powerbook - never had a problem
    also a rev a dual 2 g5 - never had a problem

yes there are some people who have problems with their machines that are rev a, and with the rev b and c models they do have a chance to 'iron out the bugs'. but hey something can go wrong with anything you buy, no matter what it is.

16. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Rev a iMac, iBook, TiBook, 2 Rev a Cubes, no problems.

18. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Small(ish) problem

I got a Rev A dual 2ghz G5 in april...
    immediately after turning it on, my fans were on full blast, permanently. I wasn't happy. Brought it to Smalldog (authorized apple reseller), who said i needed a new temp sensor, which required a replacement of the entire case. It was free, but cost my two weeks without my new baby. After that, i've only had very few problems (5 or less lockups).
    I guess it could be expected...it was a refurb anyway.
    I'm now happy:0)
    -klon

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have a Rev A. 12'' PB, and had a few problems. They only been minor things though, nothing major. One was a battery issue, it just kept goin to sleep randomly on me. Actually, thats the only problem I can think of at the moment. And thats not really that big of a deal. A new battery solved all my problems.

I would say that like anything, a Rev B. will give you a solution to any minor issues that come out of a Rev A. Are they worth the wait though? IMO not usually.